Author Topic: Vacuum chucks, are they worth it?  (Read 6744 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Vacuum chucks, are they worth it?
« on: January 18, 2018, 12:19:08 PM »
Can I ask for input from anyone using a vacuum chuck, are they worth the expense, what size vacuum pump (4cfm looks about right) and are they one of those things that just sits on the shelf!!

All comments appreciated.

I am getting into spheres in a big way and think a vacuum chuck would make the finishing and final turning much easier, or am I being lazy.......
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
Re: Vacuum chucks, are they worth it?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 01:39:03 PM »

I have the One Way system & a professional pump ... but after the novelty wore off , I have not used it for a long time.
  Tony
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 04:01:35 PM »
I use mine for various things but for most of that, it's not essential. The pump I have is 8cfm I think. I wrote an article when I put mine together. Here's my article on vacuum chucks

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 04:04:24 PM »

I have the One Way system & a professional pump ... but after the novelty wore off , I have not used it for a long time.
  Tony

The same for me

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 08:01:54 PM »
I very recently watched a demonstration by a well known turner who was using a vacuum chuck. I always thought I did not need one  but after seeing what it was capable of I just might get one.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 08:08:35 AM »
I have the little Hold Fast vacuum generator which uses my compressor. To be honest I can't remember the last time I used it as a vacuum chuck. I use it more for my vacuum and pressure pots.

All the best

Ed

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 10:10:27 AM »
I have the little Hold Fast vacuum generator which uses my compressor. To be honest I can't remember the last time I used it as a vacuum chuck. I use it more for my vacuum and pressure pots.

All the best

Ed

Yes Ed I to am playing with resin castings and a vacuum pot is a must get, so methinks if I have the vacuum pump I may as well make a chuck system to go with it. unfortunately like every thing for the VB36 the shop system is very expensive so I am looking at how to adapt a oneway coupler or similar to work on the VB.

Stuart

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 02:05:33 PM »
Don't Airpress do an adapter to fit an M33 spindle thread from the inboard side? That would work on a VB if you have the spindle adapter.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 02:47:39 PM »
Mine is an older VB so the outboard side has no thread, so I am a bit stuck as to how to go about it without spending £200 plus on a dedicated VB rotary adaptor, any suggestions anyone?

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 03:42:41 PM »
  The rear of the headstock I tapped out to suit the thread of No 1.. No 2 is a standard 1 1/2 by 8 fitting ... No 3  which has the
  same thread adapter ... No4 is the vacuum filter & gauge ..... All this information was past on to the previous owners
  VB lathes some years ago.... The pump used is an Edwards...... Home made vacuums can be made using face plates.
   Regards Tony
  Ps...All threads and adapters are variable

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:53:49 PM by georg »

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 12:12:02 PM »

You know what they say about waiting for a bus , well we had that yesterday with visitors  :)
  The above pic was/ is my solution to adapt my own VB36 for the one way vacuum system originally the threads where chosen
  for a Union Graduate ..... all parts can  still be purchased from tool post and The info was given as said to previous owner
  as all it required was a tap running in rear headstock, But after saying this the parts work out a lot of money
  and you will  need a little bit of engineering skill.
  Hope This Will Help
  Regards di & Tony

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 02:27:51 PM »
Ok having looked at all the commercial options I have decided to go the DIY route with the threaded lamp rod and home produced bushes etc. I just cannot justify the pennies that the commercial ones are, and the additional thread adaptors to suit the VD bayonet fitting.
so the question is what plastic to use to turn the bushes from Delrin seems the best option but it is almost impossible to glue it so any suggestions and suppliers appreciated.

Stuart

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 07:45:34 AM »
Managed to pick up a 6cfm vacuum pump and a reasonable sized chamber last night so the big expense is made, now looking at the components for the vacuum chuck system, I still cannot believe the cost of the commercial ones......

Offline Redtails3

• copper
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 08:47:10 AM »
Hi
 Delrin is very easy to machine  it's stringy when it comes off.
It drills and taps easy it's only fault it expands and contracts at a alarming rate so keep it cool.
The glues what I remember are two part like epoxy but a lot thinner what I remember is you  have to clamp and keep them under pressure.
The brand name Rocol springs to mind.
I would try somewhere like Cromwell has a starting point.
They will not be cheap.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 04:11:35 PM »
Managed to pick up a 6cfm vacuum pump and a reasonable sized chamber last night so the big expense is made, now looking at the components for the vacuum chuck system, I still cannot believe the cost of the commercial ones......

Sale fell through so looking for a pump and vacuum chamber if anyone can help. Minimum 4cfm to multitask with the future vacuum chuck.