Author Topic: natural edged vase  (Read 2324 times)

Offline wider

• gold
natural edged vase
« on: September 05, 2017, 10:23:47 PM »
this was turned and finished green. it took about 3hrs.it was finished with finishing oil. it is to stay in the shed for at leased 3weeks to dry out. it is 8"tall and 7" across.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: natural edged vase
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 09:19:10 AM »
Nice finish, and decent wall thickness. Unfortunately, the shape doesn't do much for me. I think it must be the very straight sides of the upper part. I am also not sure I would call this a vase, to me it looks more like a large goblet.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 01:18:10 PM »
Wider I'm not sure if the inside shape echoes the outside truthfully. However it appears that you have a nice finish which is good. I wouldn't worry too much about how long it took to make just worry about the quality of the  finished article. Good effort though.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 01:58:11 PM »
Another one calling it a goblet LOL. Intersting colour, see what it's like when dry. When I make goblets for use I do what you seem to have done and have them so they gradually get thicker as they go down the bowl section for strength but ornamental ones it is perhaps better to have them the same thickness right down. Looks a good finish as said though and a classic shape (for a chalice)

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 02:12:33 PM »
thank you to all. the thickness is the same all the way down the cup part and then thickens at the bottom as when turning I checked and trimmed so as to get the thickness the same so it would dry evenly.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 06:00:01 PM »
thank you to all. the thickness is the same all the way down the cup part and then thickens at the bottom as when turning I checked and trimmed so as to get the thickness the same so it would dry evenly.
"Wider I'm not sure if the inside shape echoes the outside truthfully." In which case Sir I aplogise. :D :D

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 06:09:47 PM »
no need to apologise I was just saying as the photo doesn't do the form justice the wall thickness is about 6mm all the way down to the bottom.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 01:18:42 PM »
I'm also of the opinion it is a goblet or chalice, not a vase. It looks like something you'd pick up by the narrow of the stem.

Whatever you call it, the only small failing is the overly straight sides, the work that has gone into creating it, the retained natural edge with intact bark, the stated constant thickness all and finish show the effort and skill you've used to create it, well done.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!