Author Topic: Joe Sonjer iridescent hollow form.  (Read 2059 times)

Offline wider

• gold
Joe Sonjer iridescent hollow form.
« on: June 29, 2017, 10:31:50 PM »
this hollow form was turned from green timber. it was felled last Monday and turned over the last few nights. the wall thickness is to a point that I used a light source to get even thickness.it was then ebonised and then used Jo sonjer iridescent paints to finish. the form is 9x6 in size. all I have to do now is leave it till it is dry so it dos not crack. all comments welcome.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Joe Sonjer iridescent hollow form.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 06:10:48 AM »
I love the colour, but am a little concerned about so much finish on a piece of timber that is still not dry; won't the evaporation of moisture cause blistering?
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 01:09:17 PM »
I like the paint but you seem to be back to that flat bottom which I dont like

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 06:54:22 PM »
thank you for your comments. Les I have done this with the paint so as to experiment to see if it would take and not spoil as it is still got moisture in the form. it has taken ok at present and will leave in the shed for another few days checking the content daily till it is of a level that I think is ok to take in doors.
  George I am in agreement with you about the bottom shape but I was more worried about the stability as it dried that if I turned the rounded bottom then it may of come un stable and then start rocking rather than standing flat.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 07:24:22 PM »
What I would say is there is no substitute for form you can make the colour as pretty as you like but if the form is wrong it will never look right.
I think it is more important to get form and finnish right and colouring is an add on.
This is how your Hollow forms started then they improved greatly but you have now gone backwards.
Please take this comment in the spirit that is intended just trying to be helpful

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 07:59:05 PM »
thank you Georg. I do take it as it is intended and I listen to you. this was a trial and error turned project. it has turned out better than I expected but I am in agreement with you about the shape and wish I had got this better than it is. i will go back to the form as you rightly say is first and foremost and get the others after. thank you again Georg i do listen and learn from you.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 08:19:48 PM »
Hi Dennis

I'm with George on the form. I also think that you would better rough turning and leaving to dry before colouring.

Turning green and removing two thirds of the wood (piercing) works but I had no real success doing anything other than that with green turning to finish.

All the best

Ed

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 10:51:11 PM »
thank you for the comments ED. up till now there are no cracks forming and I intend leaving this in my shed till I think the moisture content is down to a reasonable level to do so. it was a experiment and will be a learning curve for me.