Author Topic: 2 jaw self cantering chuck - wanted  (Read 3932 times)

Maxsi

2 jaw self cantering chuck - wanted
« on: August 06, 2016, 11:10:33 AM »
Hi,
I'm looking for a 2 jaw chuck M33 3.5, self centering preferred or anything that can be tweaked to handle square stock approx 50 mm.

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
Re: 2 jaw self cantering chuck - wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 12:01:10 PM »
Hi Maxsi,

I am intrigued why you are specifying a two jaw chuck, as a four jaw chuck will hold square stock even more securely. There aren't any missing 'sides', if that makes sense.

I use Supernova chucks and the standard 50mm. jaws will hold a reasonable length of square stock. If it's a longer piece I use a set of gripper jaws.

Or it may be that you have a particular purpose in mind, in which case why not just leave off two jaws of a 'standard' set?
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Maxsi

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 01:53:01 PM »
Two flat jaws would be ideal for the irregular length of the wood, (although straight edged).
I've used "normal" 50mm jaws with x2 taken out but with poor results as they have a knack of flying out.

I probably should have said originally that as the stock is flat looking for flat jaws.
If there is such a thing for a wood lathe.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 04:10:42 PM »
Why don't you just turn a circular spigot on the end of the piece of wood?

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 04:46:46 PM »
the surfaces may have already been machined???

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 06:18:11 PM »
Perhaps a picture of your timber would help, there are many differing methods which may save you a purchase.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 03:26:04 PM »
Have you considered taking 2 jaws out of your 4 jaw chuck and using it as a 2 jaw?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 10:10:22 AM »
Angle Iron bolted to 2 of the jaw carriers - technique used by Mike Scott (Chai) many years ago.

Offline ColWA

• iron
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 06:02:35 AM »
Several Pen Kit companies have a 2 jaw chuck for sale.

I know in Aussie we have these guys who all stock them.   Timberbits, CWS, Pop's Shed & GPW etc.

Col

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 09:26:33 AM »
Two flat jaws would be ideal for the irregular length of the wood, (although straight edged).
I've used "normal" 50mm jaws with x2 taken out but with poor results as they have a knack of flying out.

I probably should have said originally that as the stock is flat looking for flat jaws.
If there is such a thing for a wood lathe.
Surely if you put flat timber inside flat jaws and you only have two jaws, there is an inherent risk of the timber sliding through the gaps left by the missing jaws,as there is nothing to stop the wood twisting, apart from friction between the jaws and the wood? Also, if you only have two jaws the wood would only centre in one axis, you would have to manually centre the timber across the face of the jaws.

I may have missed something, and apologies if I am suggesting something you already know, but most turners will hold square stock 'diagonally' between the four jaws. i.e. the corners of the square goes between the gaps of the jaws. This means two jaws are gripping each corner, locking the timber in place.

Take a look half way down this page where it shows that arrangment.
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck_Accessories/50mm.htm

I hope that helps but I think most of us are interested to know exactly what you are trying to hold. As Paul Hannaby suggested the best option would be to turn a chucking spigot on the end of the timber, but Steve queried that wouldn't be an option if it has aready been machined to size. And Mark's idea of using angle iron is a good 'home made' idea, albeit not for the faint hearted. Maybe some pictures of the timber in question would help.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 02:35:10 PM »
What puzzles me about this thread is the vague nature of the original enquiry, and for me, even Maxsi's response. Here we all are, pondering and waiting. or putting forward suggestions, whilst the originator of the thread seems to be absent.
Come on Maxsi....give us some clearer info to work on, or at least let us know if you've solved your problem.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 05:39:14 PM »
Maxsi,

I've read your posts again. I'm still not sure what it is you want, but it sounds something like you want to hold a flat piece of wood on a chuck, in the flat orientation.

If that's correct, I think you want to look at a set of button jaws, for reversing bowls but fitted with the Axminster Studs.

The have a sharp edge which grips the edge of the timber, Have a look at these;

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-stacking-turn-studs-211309
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!