Author Topic: natural edge off centre goblet.  (Read 1818 times)

Offline wider

• gold
natural edge off centre goblet.
« on: July 22, 2016, 07:36:43 AM »
had a go at doing a natural edge off centre goblet. this is the thinnest stem I have done to date.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: natural edge off centre goblet.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 07:46:07 AM »
I'm struggling with the proportions of this piece....as a practice piece to get techniques honed, then it's fine, but the base looks too heavy whilst the goblet-bowl looks heavy, yet far too small. It reminds me more of a shallow Martini bowl than a goblet. Multi-axis work really isn't my thing, which is just a personal take on it, but the work on the stem looks to be well done. Sorry that I couldn't be more positive.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline rick_dobney

• bronze
    • Rick Dobney Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 08:17:09 AM »
I agree with Les, the bowl and base are too heavy. The trick with offset stems is not necessarily the thickness of the stems, more to make sure you have a reasonable amount of wood in the intersection between one offset and the next to reduce the risk of a split along the grain, it looks like you've just got away with this. If you go for a light weight bowl on the goblet, this also helps to reduce whip and stress on the stem when you turn offset. A good exercise and I'm sure you've learnt a bit in the process so that's no bad thing.
Cheers
Rick

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 08:21:47 AM »
Doesn't do anything for me

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything