Author Topic: Winged walnut box  (Read 2012 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Winged walnut box
« on: July 20, 2016, 07:53:28 PM »
This is a box I made actually quite a while ago, it just never got photographed. The dark pieces are walnut, and the lighter ones are maple. I think it came off rather nicely.
The whole thing is about 3" wide and 6" long. The wings are about 2mm thick (1/32"). Finished in wax. As usual, all C&C welcome.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Winged walnut box
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 08:14:40 PM »
Hi Fuzzy

If it was me I would have made the box bigger than the lid or the lid smaller than the box which ever way you look at it.
I think a round knob would suit it better than a finial.
Just my thoughts.
It looks well made and I like the idea

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 10:24:15 PM »
Fuzzy,

I like the look of this, just one small thought though. The lid should either be flatter (probably wrong) or more hemispherical, yours is slightly flattened from the sphere.

But as ever, I am being very picky in saying that because it really is a nice piece of work.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 10:44:36 PM »
George: firstly, thanks for the reply. To be honest with you, the thought of maybe putting a knob on top never really occurred to me. In my mind I always had the image of having precisely this finial on top. And obviously, if you can't see it, you won't make it, so I didn't. I'll keep it in mind, though.

Brian: again, thanks for the comment. I have to admit that my freehand turning of spheres is not great. Something I either need to practice or buy (or make) myself a sphere turning jig. Yes, the lid is a little flat, and so is the bottom of the box. I personally think a flat top to the lid would not work well. But there we really get into the field of personal preferences.

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 08:19:43 AM »
I like the contrast between the two types of wood  :)
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying