Author Topic: ash+iroko pedistal bowl.  (Read 3246 times)

Offline wider

• gold
ash+iroko pedistal bowl.
« on: March 11, 2016, 09:55:07 PM »
I have been wanting to have a go at this bowl for some time now after seeing a demo at our club. all comments welcome.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: ash+iroko pedistal bowl.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 10:03:08 PM »
That's a very fine piece of ash and I'm sure that not everyone would have opted for the plinth, but it's your experiment and you've clearly put some good work into it. It's been a part of your learning curve....care to share with us what you have learned from it?

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 10:23:07 PM »
hi Les
the ash is a nice bit of timber and it would of made a good bowl on its own. as for the learning curve I have seen is that to do anything as this you have to give it a lot of for thought before you even start turning. I also found that you have to take all consideration as to timber matching. as I have done hear is to add dark with light timbers to give the most effect.
dennis

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 11:13:16 PM »
dennis well done. I think this is a very well executed piece. As you said you have taken care to match timbers, sometimes people try to match those that do not work well together but these two IMHO work very well. I can also see that you have turned and finished the bowl very well too. Now call me picky....and I could be wrong but did you apply the finish to the pedestal with the lathe running? Because I detect very slightly a small part of what is probably deeper grain without a finish. BUt I could be wrong and it could just be the light, what ever, the whole thing works for me.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 05:26:13 AM »
...as for the learning curve I have seen is that to do anything as this you have to give it a lot of for thought before you even start turning. I also found that you have to take all consideration as to timber matching....

That's a lesson well learned. In a 2-part turning, such as this, planning is essential and it certainly paid off for you.
Can I too, be a little picky? When you make a bowl profile like this, make the change from convex to concave a little more gradual, so that it flows a little better.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 08:16:47 AM »
Does not work for me the bowl bears no relationship to the pedestal
Still trying to be too clever before learning the basics

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 09:51:56 PM »
hi every one thank you for your comments. George I take all your comments on board but if you want to help me get better at turning that I have been doing for several years. I am in your hands so give me a helping hand and help me get better at the designee side of it.
yours
dennis

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 10:36:27 PM »
When making things in several parts don't glue up straight away. make them so that they can be put together and left for a while as sometimes the design can seem OK at first but timewill show that it just ain't right. I don't have a problem with either the pedestal or the bowl on this one but for me they don't work together.
One idea for design ideas is to google (in this case) 'pedestal bowls' and just look at images. You'll see some beautiful ones and some downright ugly ones. You will also find that what works in glass may not work in wood for example. Some basic ideas are....rarely will this sort of design work if the base is anything less than at least 2/3rds the diameter of the top and the curves on the various sections should be similar not, as in this piece, very different in style.

I don't profess to be a good designer and often get it wrong but am fortunate to have an experienced designer who is quick to point out weaknesses in my work but also where I am wrong and how to be different. Keep experimenting and trying different things, wood turners don't have mistakes they have design opportunities.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 10:51:32 PM »
hi Pete
 thank you for that. I can understand from what you have told me hear. I am defiantly not that good at this designee area. I have went from a demo that was done by Mick hanbury at our club. this is a spin of from that.  not that I am blaming Mick for this far from it. all I need is help in this area. so I thank you again for your help.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 08:17:49 AM »
hi every one thank you for your comments. George I take all your comments on board but if you want to help me get better at turning that I have been doing for several years. I am in your hands so give me a helping hand and help me get better at the designee side of it.
yours
dennis

Hi Dennis

You say you have been turning for several years but you seem to have very little grasp of what works and what does not work.
It seems to me you are more concerned with churning out loads of stuff rather than make less things but make them right.
You need to do more research online or better still go to somebody like Mark Sanger ,Mark Hancock or Nick Agar for tuition
I will tell you the same as I tell all of my Students the only difference between a very poor Woodturner and the best Woodturners in the World is Form and Finnish if you those two things right nobody can be better than you.
I suggest you go back to basics and study form and finish rather than producing loads of poor work.

Regards George

The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 05:16:53 PM »
Great piece,beautiful contrast between the two woods,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world