Author Topic: Laburnum vase  (Read 2713 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Laburnum vase
« on: March 15, 2016, 10:07:18 AM »
This is made from the stock of laburnum I have accumulated. It was vey dry and beginning to go over. Does Laburnum spalt? It is 210mm tall at the back and 110mm max dia. finished with micro. polish. I left the top cut at the angle the log was cut at and wire brushed to give a contrasting texture to the rim.

Pete
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 10:08:50 AM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Laburnum vase
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 04:16:43 PM »
A nice bit of wood Pete but I think it would be better without the base.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 04:49:24 PM »
A nice bit of wood Pete but I think it would be better without the base.
Or, at least, a smaller base, so that it just lifts the bottom off the surface. I personally also think a thinner wall would look better. It looks very chunky to me as it is.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 07:50:12 PM »
Thank you for your comments both. At the moment I like the foot, it is actually a little taller than it looks in the photo (which may be even worse from your points of view LOL) but we'll see how I feel in a couple of weeks, might end up agreeig with you both. It is deliberately thcker for two reasons Fuzzy, one if I had it too thin it would fall apart and secondly I wanted it that way as I feel it works better. Thin isn't always best in my opinion and I often think that the only reason for making something thin is to prove you can.

Pete

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 08:05:03 PM »
I can't see enough of the foot to make a proper comment, but I do like a good foot on a vase, even if I have never worked out how to turn a good one myself.

I'm not so sure about the rim texture, a little too much to be natural and not quite enough to be an interesting feature, you need to take it back a bit or increase the effect.

But I like the overall shape, it works with the grain to give an interesting front view where you've turned it (or was the pith) off centre.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 08:16:16 PM »
So if this vase is to be known for its big foot, let's call it 'Yetti'  :o

Actually, I like it, Pete. I like a big foot and I feel that the wall thickness and the texture of the rim work well together to tell the story of the timber.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 10:39:19 PM »
I also like it as it is Pete show the grain well and leaving the rim as is works for me

Ed

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 10:44:31 PM »
Thanks for the comments Brian, Les and Ed. Nice to know I am not on my own LOL. Seriously I will leave this on one side for a while and see if it grows on me. Sometimes after a whileyou can see things differently so tie will tell.

pete

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 12:23:17 AM »
This is made from the stock of laburnum I have accumulated. It was vey dry and beginning to go over. Does Laburnum spalt? It is 210mm tall at the back and 110mm max dia. finished with micro. polish. I left the top cut at the angle the log was cut at and wire brushed to give a contrasting texture to the rim.

Pete

hi pete, in theory nothing will spalt if it's really dry. the spalting will have occurred when it was wet.

i've seen lots of laburnum and i'm yet to see any with spalting (except the sapwood) like you see in beech, ash or the maples but it does tend to get those brown rot streaks that start to fall apart like you can see in yours.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 05:14:54 PM »
I like this piece Pete just as it is,at least with a larger foot it won`t blow over in a draught ;D,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world