Author Topic: Hollowing rig  (Read 6869 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Hollowing rig
« on: August 15, 2015, 11:40:30 PM »
Is anyone else using a captive hollowing rig? If so how you getting on. I find this a very easy system to use. Having been using hand held tools for years this makes them seem real hard work in retrospect.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Hollowing rig
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 06:12:52 AM »
I have recently started using the Simon Hope rig, which I find is very useful. Following a neck injury last year, I was finding both posture at the lathe and the strenuous effort of deep hollowing, too uncomfortable for words, but this rig has taken both of those problems away. I'd heartily recommend it.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 07:50:46 AM »
Another vote for the Hope system. I have had mine since Daventry and I'm very impressed with the ease of use and quality of build.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 08:00:16 AM »
I have to agree about the Simon Hope rig. Very easy in use and comfortable too. It also takes my Roly Munro and Crown hollower. I am probably going to become a member of the Simon Hope hollowing rig appreciation society too!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 08:33:46 AM »
..... the Simon Hope hollowing rig appreciation society too!! ;D ;D ;D
...a very fair point. Simon is a very approachable person and happy to give information freely, not just about his products, but also about how we can use our existing 'other makes' alongside his.....there was no pressure to have to buy Hope equipment to work with Hope equipment!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 07:25:56 PM »
I have one also a bit of a DIY set up and I use it often. It does make life a lot easier and simplify the process.

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 08:40:56 AM »
Simon Hope for me too
I have 2 damaged shoulders and freehand hollowing became impossible after a large piece of Monkey Puzzle finally tore a hole in my shoulder ligaments. The Orthopaedic surgeon vetoed all deep hollowing for ever.
The SH rig is so easy and takes my Crown Revolution bars. It gets my vote. I use the laser attachment too.
Regards
Nick
See me at Boglecraft  https://www.Boglecraft.co.uk

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 05:01:19 PM »
Watching Simon at Yandles he now has a camera attachment and monitor so you can watch the cutter and see exactly where it is. While I am very much a free hand hollower I have to say I watched and was impressed. Simon turned several hollow spheres to a wall thickness of around 1 mm ( ok I know you don't need to go this thin) but he showed how easy it was  >:( >:( :) :) can't knock progress I guess. Won;t be long and I will be called a purist, can't have that. !!!  :) :) :)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 07:21:31 PM »
Also hads one go bang on him at Yandles which goes to shoew that even the experts can get it wrong. Seriously it does seem a great piece of kit if you need it.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities