Author Topic: Moisture Meter  (Read 10096 times)

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
Re: Moisture Meter
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 08:07:54 AM »
OK, got that. Since I make my own blanks, I know how old the wood is. I also rough turn most bowls and then put them away in a drying cabinet for at least several weeks, and up to 6 months. I can probably safely say that if it says 10% on the outside (of a 1" thick rough turned bowl) it won't be more than 12-14% on the inside. At least that's what has been the case so far.

Do you store this in a unheated workshop outside, if so most timber will still have a m/c of 17% even if its rough turned down to an 1"
I will not finish an item until the m/c is down to 11% all the way through the timber. I know how dry a modern house can be.
Philip

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2015, 11:28:49 AM »
I store mine in an unheated shed and bring it into my workshop at about 17 to 19% because my workshop is well insulated and used most days the moisture content will reduce to about 11 to 12% that is when I finish it.
I then bring it all into our conservatory in spite of the moaning from the boss and after about a week it goes out to galleries.
I use my moisture meter a lot but accept that it is only a guide.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 01:59:23 PM »
I store green wood and blanks in an unheated shed. Rough turned bowls and vases, etc, are in a cupboard in the house, until I work on them. All the finished pieces are stored in the house in another cupboard (and a few are on display on shelves).