Author Topic: Yew vase  (Read 3555 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Yew vase
« on: October 14, 2015, 10:57:28 PM »
As the title says, a vase from yew. No colours added, finished with my self made wipe-on polyurethane varnish mixture. About 10" tall. All C&C welcome.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Yew vase
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 06:47:52 AM »
Hi Fuzzy...you don't tell us if this is meant to be functional. If it is, does it have sufficient WOP to truly seal the grain on the inside? Also, I'd be a little concerned about its stability, as the base looks a little narrow. However, if it's made purely as a piece to look at, then fair enough!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 09:23:30 AM »
So far I haven't put any WOP on the inside, only sanding sealer. I am considering it, though, and it would be water tight. Also, although the walls are quite thin all the way up (about 2-3mm), the base itself is quite thick and gives sufficient weight. It could be made functional.

So how does it work for you as a purely decorative piece?

Offline rick_dobney

• bronze
    • Rick Dobney Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 09:29:00 AM »
Hi Fuzzy
A nice piece of yew there, looks like a good satin finish too.
Being picky (would you expect anything less on the forum) I'd say the neck isn't drawn in enough or the body  isn't wide enough, it just looks a little out of proportion to me.... It may be the photographs though.

Thanks for sharing
Cheers
Rick

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 12:38:07 PM »
I was expecting this as feedback, as it mirrors my own perception of the form. I think the quite small foot counters this to some degree, but not completely. And yes, I would expect feedback on this forum to be quite picky. But then, as the old adage goes: calm seas don't make for good sailors.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 05:27:57 PM »

So how does it work for you as a purely decorative piece?
....just one reservation....I feel that the lip at the very top is a bit too wide. I see what Rick is saying, but I tried using a piece of paper to mask the top, so as to see what it looked like a little shorter and narrower, and I think it looks better that way.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Tom Sherman

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 05:54:51 PM »
As it sits, it is a well done form. That said, I think the neck needs to be a bit smaller, it appears to be the same size as the widest part of the vase and kind of throws off the asthetics to my eye.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 07:07:12 PM »
Like Rick says, the neck could have been slightly narrower, but all the curves flow through the form, no awkward angle changes, the finish is good. It's Yew, so does not need much more to make it look good.

As for balance/stability did you leave some weight in the base to create this, and hive it some 'heft' when picked up?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 12:47:34 AM »
Yes, Brian, I did. In fact, more than I wanted, simply because I do not have the skills yet to hollow any further.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 09:45:12 AM »
Hi Fuzzy

I can see what been said about the neck, the piece flows. I quite like it as it is.

Ed

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 10:40:52 AM »
Yes, Brian, I did. In fact, more than I wanted, simply because I do not have the skills yet to hollow any further.
Fuzzy I quite like this, regarding skill level that only increases with practice and you are putting in the practice. One way to cheat a little is turn the outside shape and hollow out to the inside profile and then turn the out side again to thin the walls down. You may need a support mandrel on the tailstock to stop vibration. After a while you will find that the hollowing is becoming thinner anyway and there is no need to return the outside  but it does help sometimes.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 02:57:10 PM »
Hi Fuzzy

This is a nice vase indeed, the finish is great and I like the curves. Thanks for sharing.