Author Topic: Gringing and Sharpening  (Read 9351 times)

Offline vyvsdad

• copper
Gringing and Sharpening
« on: July 14, 2015, 02:02:32 PM »
Hello All,

I'm on the hunt for a new sharpening rig. I prefer belted systems/linishers to grinders and until recently have just been using an old belt sander mounted vertically. I would treat my self to a Sorby system, but my budget doesn't quite stretch that far. So, my question is, are any of the following type of thing any good:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-cs4-6d-belt-and-disc-sander

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/section/7446/sn/SCHBGS700#.VaUHWflViko

Or shall I save up for the Sorby?

My suspicion is that they'll run too fast, but I need confirmation if this is so.
Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Dan

Offline vyvsdad

• copper
Re: Gringing and Sharpening
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 02:03:17 PM »
Obviously that should say 'Grinding and Sharpening'.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 03:33:35 PM »
I have the pro edge and they are very good but they are in my opinion very expensive.
Sharp and correctly profiled tools are a very big part of woodturning so I think you probably have to bite the bullet and get a good system.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 03:50:27 PM »
I was actually enjoying  the 'Gringing'.

Only you can decide if you want to save the extra pennies but I can say that the Sorby pro edge is a good bit of kit that works very well.You will have to go a long way to find any complaints about it that are not centred around its price.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 08:51:50 PM »
I was actually enjoying  the 'Gringing'.

Ah...I thought he meant 'Cringing'.

Having said that.....I think it's worth keeping sight of the fact that a dedicated grinding and sharpening system will have all the jigs etc that you might need, whereas these machines, as reasonably priced and reasonably well built as they are, would still leave you needing jigs.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 01:33:15 PM »
if the sorby belts are the same size as the linnisher belts on the Clark/Scheppach bench grinder/linnisher you could pay your sixty/eighty quid for one of those and attach their jigs and belts to it with a bit of ingenuity and inventiveness.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline vyvsdad

• copper
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 01:40:47 PM »
Jigs etc are not a problem, as I have all of those already.
I just thought the belt speed might be a bit high, as the sorry system runs quite a bit slower.

Dan

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 05:40:56 PM »
Ah right,I found out how long and wide the Sorby belts are anyway,their 780 mm long,the Clark/Scheppach belts are only 686 mm long,so you`d have to play about alot to get the drive to pulley further apart,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 12:39:59 AM »
Hello All,
[snip]

Or shall I save up for the Sorby?

My suspicion is that they'll run too fast, but I need confirmation if this is so.
Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Dan

There's a dedicated discussion list for the Pro-Edge here: http://robert-sorby.freeforums.net/

Reviewing the posts there may help you decide

MC

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 07:04:52 AM »
I run three sharpers, bench grinder, wet wheel Jet and the ProEdge.

The ProEdge in my opinion is the best system, simple to use and the belts are quite cheap starting at a little over 2.00 each, but you would be better using the ceramic belts which cut better and last much longer these are around 6.00 each.

With the Jet system there's a little more messing around when setting up to sharpen the different tools. but it's not hard. The cost of the replacement wheel should be consider as these are not cheap but it would be sometime before this needs to be done.

The bench grinder will also sharpen your tools but these remove a lot of steel quickly so what you are saving on the sharpener you are losing on the tools you will be replacing them sooner.

Now days I use all the sharpeners bench grinder for reshaping, Jet for sharpening roughing out tools and the ProEdge with a diamond belt for all the main sharpening this cutting edge is by far the best cutting edge but it soon dulls.

Ed

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 09:12:22 AM »
I have the Sorby Proedge system and I think it is the best. I've had it for about three years now and it is someasy to sharpen any tool quickly. Setting to a new angle for a different tool takes a matter of seconds. I wouldn't use anything else now and although it seems expensive, I think it is well worth the money. Save your pennies and get one when you can. Malcolm.

Agerbundsen

Re: Grinding and Sharpening
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 07:20:08 AM »
A number of turners here in Denmark have invested in the Sorby system, and generally like it - except they seem to have difficulties sharpening the more modern 10% vanadium steel tools, such as the Doug Thompson's.

My personal system is an 8" slow speed (approx. 1400 rpm) with a Norton 80 grit 3X type K wheel on one side for scrapers and a 180 grit CBN wheel on the other side for gouges and skews. Oneway platform on the 3X and Wolverine jig on the CBN. Fast, accurate repeatability and very little tool wear. The first Norton lasted more than 10 years, and after a year of use, there is no indication that the CBN is wearing.

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 07:53:32 AM »
I do have one slight problem with my proedge and that is when sharpening curved tools like a Lacer skew or a round nosed scraper. swinging the handle to the right is no problem but it hits the start/stop switch box when swinging to the left. Annoying but by no means a deal breaker.
Regards
Graham

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 08:18:47 AM »
I do have one slight problem with my proedge and that is when sharpening curved tools like a Lacer skew or a round nosed scraper. swinging the handle to the right is no problem but it hits the start/stop switch box when swinging to the left. Annoying but by no means a deal breaker.

I  have a Pro-Edge

Have you tried changing the angle of the belt so it “leans backwards”?

You have probably noticed two socket screws near the bottom roller - one in fron of and one behind the belt.
If these are loosened, you can tilt the belt.
Are you aware of the Sorby discussion list here: http://robert-sorby.freeforums.net/

MCB

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 08:44:30 AM »
Hi MCB
Yes to both of your questions.  :)
I forgot to mention that lifting the box on top of the motor is only an issue if using the 15 & 20 degree setting but it happens regardless of the angle of the belt.
I have mentioned it on the Sorby forum as well but without responce.
As I said, an inconvenience rather than major issue.
Regards
Graham