Author Topic: Patriot vs sc4  (Read 4511 times)

Offline horrorboy64

• iron
Patriot vs sc4
« on: August 14, 2015, 10:59:43 PM »
I've recently bought a record power g3 & an rp2000 chuck with adaptor to use on my jet 1221vs, & find myself dissatisfied with the amount of runout on both chucks. Is the sc4 built to a similar standard or am I better off buying a patriot companion chuck & transferring my existing jaws to it? Or should I go for an axminster instead? Many thanks.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: Patriot vs sc4
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 07:07:12 AM »
Firstly let me state that I sell the Patriot chucks being a Robert Sorby stockiest.

I take it by run off you are talking about the way the chuck sits against the spindle collar. If so have you checked the adaptor/s that could be the problem. If not was the lathe new or second hand it could be the spindle.

With that said I have built up a collection of chucks and use the Patriot and the older Axminster Precision (I think they were K12) 100mm chuck. I also have Multistar's and a Record Nova chuck.

I don't use the Record at all these days at all I did not like the way the jaws fitted. I ran an experiment swapping the jaws around from on both the Record and Patriot chucks and found that the jaws were much better fitted to the Patriot chuck so I use the Patriot and they work fine.

All the best

Ed

Offline horrorboy64

• iron
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 08:37:51 AM »
Morning Ed. I noticed that when I fitted a steb centre to my chuck that the point oscillated, so I brought a dial gauge home from work & took a few readings.  The spindle runs spot on, both on the outside & on the Morse taper. However, when a chuck was fitted it was a different story. I'm only talking about 0.07mm deviation, but it's enough to see with the naked ( or at least bespectacled) eye, & it gets worse further away from the headstock. I've reset the jaws & improved things a little but I still think it could be better, hence the patriot query. At £110 for a companion chuck it looks like my cheapest solution if I use the record jaws on it. Cheers Paul.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 11:47:56 AM »
the point can oscillate on my chuck mounted steb center and it is most likely the fact that so many items are in place to get the point dead center every time would be tricky. i have resigned myself to the fact that i need to give the steb centre a tap with the chuck key to get it running true if i so wish.

when turning between centres 0.07mm if nothing...

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 01:44:13 PM »
I tend to agree with Steve. You can and I have turned perfectly well between centres that are well offset deliberatly, the wood runs between the centres.

The only time run-out is a worry is when drilling a small hole dead centre and you'll be doing that from a chuck not between centres.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!