Author Topic: A few pieces  (Read 8608 times)

Offline steve w

• bronze
Re: A few pieces
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 07:50:50 PM »
love the last one - but it spoils the suprise showing me my xmas present so early  ;) ;D

Thank you very much, oh no you saw through it  :) :) :) not celebrating Xmas this year as I am a poor woodturner. :) :)

:) :) even more the reason to celebrate - a made gift is far better than a shop one 
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 10:45:11 AM »
nicely inspired there Mark,the idea worked very well,lovely piece,and the others to,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 01:41:29 PM »
They are all beautiful and extremely well done, Mark. I must try some of this some time now that I have a new pyro unit. Malcolm.

Thank you, pyro is a lot of fun and for me adds another dimension, saying that I also love highly figured woods that I leave well alone, it is however great to have both options.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2015, 01:42:07 PM »
Some fantastic texturing. So difficult to say which I personally would select as the better as with all of your work always to a very high standard.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2015, 01:42:34 PM »
Mark,
       Fabulous as always I look forward to seeing the ones in the Instant Gallery at the Seminar also looking forward to your presentations. ;D ;)

Regards John     

Thanks John

I look forward to meeting up with you are the symposium. I am starting to get nervous now as I still have loads of prep work to do and time is running out fast.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2015, 01:44:14 PM »
love the last one - but it spoils the suprise showing me my xmas present so early  ;) ;D

Thank you very much, oh no you saw through it  :) :) :) not celebrating Xmas this year as I am a poor woodturner. :) :)

:) :) even more the reason to celebrate - a made gift is far better than a shop one 

ha ha, I dunno, a shop gift from the Aston Martin store wouldn't be bad.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2015, 01:45:01 PM »
Derek and Eric

Thank you very much for your comments they are much appreciated.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 01:40:06 PM »
Here is the latest picture of more colour being added. Several years ago I was privileged to work with many amazing creative people during a wood art collaboration in Ireland, many of you in this forum will be aware of this but if anyone has not seen the video then it can be viewed here. One of the many makers involved who's creative ability and work I have always been mesmerized by is that of Jacques Vesery. One of the techniques I learnt from Jacques during the week was this colouring/dry brush technique that I used here on this piece. It is a well documented art technique but as with everything, working with someone who is so knowledgeable and who has refined and mastered a technique is worth its weight in gold.

It has been two years since the collaboration and the first occasion I have had to get to grips with it, no where am I competent with it but it is a fun way to colour. Now I am making a lid, finial and base for the piece but will carry on working on another project and let this one sit for a few days until I am happy with exactly how I will progress with it further. It is difficult to see the shades of colour in this picture, but I used around 5 main colours intermixed to around 15 shades which were built up gradually.

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 01:46:31 PM »
very nice - can i ask what wood you have used? Thanks, Steve

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 02:17:59 PM »

Thank you, no problem at all in relation to the wood. The wood here is Sycamore, nearly all of my textured coloured work is Sycamore as it turns well, takes fine texture and colour well without having any grain to contend with. Hope that helps.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2015, 05:51:48 PM »
Hate sayimng this but for me it doesn't work, may be just the photo as ity is the colour that doesn't do it for me and you say it is different in real life. It's lost the lovely 3d effect it had here. Still be chuffed if I produced something as nice though LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2015, 05:55:56 PM »
Hate sayimng this but for me it doesn't work, may be just the photo as ity is the colour that doesn't do it for me and you say it is different in real life. It's lost the lovely 3d effect it had here. Still be chuffed if I produced something as nice though LOL.

Pete

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( I'm not doing very well today  :) :) It is very harsh in the photo as I just took a quick snap on the background without any lighting so the contrast is quite extreme and you can not see the subtle tones. Once it is finished with lid, finial and stand then I will take a proper pic and hopefully you can get a better look at it.

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2015, 07:32:42 PM »

Thank you, no problem at all in relation to the wood. The wood here is Sycamore, nearly all of my textured coloured work is Sycamore as it turns well, takes fine texture and colour well without having any grain to contend with. Hope that helps.

Thank you, appreciated, steve

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2015, 08:36:56 PM »
Mark,

amazing and that's just your patience in creating these designs in your work.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2015, 08:22:38 AM »
Mark,

amazing and that's just your patience in creating these designs in your work.

Thanks Bryan

Patience is certainly needed, but I have to say sitting in the garden listening to the birds while I work for many hours on the textures is very enjoyable.

Thanks again