Author Topic: A few pieces  (Read 8691 times)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
A few pieces
« on: July 03, 2015, 11:41:07 AM »
In John's post about the workshop being to hot for working in, I showed a picture of me basking in the sun while texturing some pieces, it is something I do when it gets too hot, have a few spare forms to work on outside.

These are in the early stages, a lot more texturing and refining work to do followed by colouring and other bits and pieces etc.

The first form texture was inspired by the texture beneath the bark of a Burr Ash blank I roughed out. Part of the bark had to be removed as it was loose and this lovely texture was underneath, it was not my intention to copy it directly but to use it as a starting point.  

The resulting texture on the top of a form.

The texture on this one is of the cherry blossom, again a lot more work to be done in relation to refining and colouring.

C&C welcome.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 12:14:59 PM by Mark Sanger »

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: A few pieces
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 01:17:17 PM »
I keep meaning to have a go at texturing then I see things like this and it goes on the back burner. Aside from any difference in skill you have a lot more patience than me mark. I really must discipline myself. personally I think these are beautiful. The first is the one I prefer but both are really striking, the second has a definite oriental look.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 01:24:05 PM »
Hi Mark....it's that first piece that does it for me, every time.....it has something very raw and natural about it. I particularly like the way that we're almost fooled into thinking that it's contours on a map, yet the piece is clearly 3-dimensional, with contours of its own that are at odds with the contours of the grain....I could study it for hours.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 02:28:12 PM »
Thank you both

The first one was a joy to make around 6-8 hours in all on the texturing if not more on the first one, partly due to my pyrography machine not being powerful enough for my needs, got over that now through fiddling with my shop brought one and while it helped I am building another one for heavy branding to speed things up further.  :)

Pete patience in this kind of work is not a problem, you get very 'zoned' in to working and it becomes almost meditative until you touch your finger on the end of the wire, then you come back down to earth.  :) :)

The blossom one is the harder of the two textures, I am no artist so it is slow going but I will get there, if not it will go in the chiminea and I will have learnt a lot from it.

Here I have just applied its first base colour and it is shown from a different angle, once this is dry I will start to build up the colours using acrylic paints etc, then a lid, finial and plinth.the texture looks much deeper/harsh in this pic than it actually is, I think the bright sunlight had an effect on this in the photo.   

This is another one I have finished texturing and colouring, made quite a few of these so it is quicker as I know what I am doing  :) again final and plinth had to be made.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 03:08:14 PM »
Beautiful work Mark, I really like the last one shown but the first two are good too.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 03:09:11 PM »
   As always Mark....... Lovely Work On Both Pieces........But Really Like The First One.

Had a pyro unit made by a friend for Diane ...... Only problem being it gets that hot it dissolves normal pyro wire.
   Have to keep it on a very low setting....... luckily he made the hand set as well which does not get too warm or over heat,

It don`t half speed things up though. :) :)
 Regards Tony & Di

« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 03:12:39 PM by georg »
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 03:41:08 PM »
Thank you John, Tony and Di

They all but the last have a lot of further work needed so I anticipate them changing quite a lot.

Tony & Di

I have two bought pyro units which are fine, changed the hand piece cable on one to low resistance cable made it about 1/3 rd more powerful and it can quite happily burn out normal pyro wire, the one I am making will allow me to brand with 20-30 gauge wire efficiently, if you see a puff of smoke coming from Dorset and the lights flicker then you know it is me.  ;D Of course it will be checked by a competent electrician as opposed to an incompetent one.  :)

The handles getting too hot is a problem for me too so I am making some new ones as the ones I have after a short time are too hot to handle so I have to wrap them in foam.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 03:46:14 PM by Mark Sanger »

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 07:49:05 PM »
love the last one - but it spoils the suprise showing me my xmas present so early  ;) ;D
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 08:18:21 PM »
Not bad I suppose. ;)

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 08:00:49 AM »
love the last one - but it spoils the suprise showing me my xmas present so early  ;) ;D

Thank you very much, oh no you saw through it  :) :) :) not celebrating Xmas this year as I am a poor woodturner. :) :)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 08:01:58 AM »
Not bad I suppose. ;)

Regards George

Thanks George, hopefully you will get to see them once finished, but I won't let you touch them.  :)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 08:02:13 AM »
They will probably join the rest unfinished on the shelf to gather dust. ::) ::) ::)

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 09:04:55 AM »
They will probably join the rest unfinished on the shelf to gather dust. ::) ::) ::)

Regards George

:) :) no these are for two new galleries together with others as well as a some not shown being for the symposium.

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 09:30:20 AM »
They are all beautiful and extremely well done, Mark. I must try some of this some time now that I have a new pyro unit. Malcolm.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 12:36:59 PM »
Mark,
       Fabulous as always I look forward to seeing the ones in the Instant Gallery at the Seminar also looking forward to your presentations. ;D ;)

Regards John     
John Smith