Author Topic: Accoya Box  (Read 2726 times)

Offline z3ddie

• copper
  • It wasn't a catch it was a redesign
Accoya Box
« on: June 23, 2015, 02:11:43 PM »
Little play with a bit of Accoya donated - it turned ok but does not really take a finish very well - about 5'' x 1.5'' - I think if I am going to do more bowls I really need one of those scrapers with the wheel on

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: Accoya Box
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 04:27:59 PM »
you do like picking tricky woods to turn for beginners don't you!!!

accoya is usually radiata pine that has been acetylated, it's a bit soft and is not the best for turning.

did you get the wood from stuart groves?

nice attempt by the way.

Offline z3ddie

• copper
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 04:58:09 PM »
Haha I know - but experience come with time! No the wood is from a local firm P & J Joinery in Chinnor

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 06:25:40 PM »
Using these types of wood is challenging for a beginner (don't ask me how I know that). But at the same time, if you can muster the patience and perseverance, it will teach you lots about proper tool control, and the importance of sharp tools. Once you can get decent cuts, shapes and finishes out of soft woods, you should have no problem with harder woods.

I am not sure about the box itself, to be honest. Somehow the shape doesn't appeal much to me. I think for my taste there are too many rounded corners.

Offline z3ddie

• copper
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 07:16:35 PM »
Thanks for your honesty- goes a long way with me from you experienced guys - I suppose this is just part of my learning process and the slight details is the result of a catch that I liked - anyway I gave it to a friends young daughter and the look of delight on her face was enough for me anyday! There really is something special about making and giving these things away that is quite addictive!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 07:18:28 PM by z3ddie »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 10:37:06 PM »
z3ddie,

enough has been said about the timber (other than it's something I've never heard of).

But you are already trying to do more than turn something. You previous bowl had the cove around it, this box has decorative effects as well. You may be a beginner but you are already exploring the decorative effects and side of woodturning, a good sign so early in your learning curve.

Can I make a suggestion, for a while stop making bowls. Make spindles.

Small squares of wood are easier to come by than bowl blanks. You'll learn all the tool control and once you start to make 2 (or more) items the same you'll have to learn repetition turning. That means being accurate and repeatable which is total tool control.

A few ideas:
Candlesticks (50mm x 50mm x length),
Christmas ornaments (30mm x 30mm x 75mm),
Fruit, Apples (65mm x 65mm x 75mm), Pears (65mm x 65mm x 90mm),
Vases (75mm x 75mm x length (or bigger)),
Endgrain boxes (50mm x 50mm x length),
Lace bobbins (8mm x 8mm 110mm)

I know it's not so exciting, but make a mistake making a bowl, and (as the joke goes) it's a design opportunity! Make a mistake making a duplicate turning, it's firewood.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 11:16:42 PM »
I have to second dr4g0nfly. Spindle work can actually be very varied however, You obviously love experimenting and trying new ideas so have a think about boxes, goblets, vases etc as well. Also try some so called 'ordinary woods such as ash, oak, even pine can be good, not the easiest but all available cheaply (think recycled, scraps etc) and so not  a problem if they don't work first time.

pete

Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline z3ddie

• copper
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 08:29:32 AM »

dr4g0nfly and Bod - nice suggestions and comments - thanks. By coincidence the neighbour who's daughter I gave the box to is an artist and she asked me ages ago if I had thought of making things to hang on an Xmas tree - suppose I better get cracking!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 09:04:21 AM »
Icicles, little trees, Santa's, robins can all be made relatively easily and are a good way of using up all those odd scraps of wood as well.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities