Author Topic: Elm Lamp base  (Read 1814 times)

Offline z3ddie

• copper
  • It wasn't a catch it was a redesign
Elm Lamp base
« on: June 22, 2015, 02:30:19 PM »
Bit of advice if you would please - I was asked to turn a lampbase out of some Elm a lady gave me and she drew the design - so that is a bit out of my control - however it has some interesting 'missing' bits and gnarls so my question is would you leave as it is - waxed and polished or try and fix it - I pretty much know how to do it with sanded waste and glue,  but I sort of like it as it is

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Elm Lamp base
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 02:53:36 PM »
Since this seems to be some sort of commission, I would ask the commissioner, i.e. the lady who gave you the wood. Since the piece currently looks quite rustic to me, it might be an idea to take along a similar piece of wood (i.e. similarly spalted/gnarled/etc) but with a high degree of finishing, so she can visualize the difference.

Offline z3ddie

• copper
  • It wasn't a catch it was a redesign
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 02:55:56 PM »
Thanks Fuzzy - I personally don't like it - too busy for me, but this was the best I could get out of the log she gave me - she is a bit batty so I think it will be to her taste!

Online seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 02:58:36 PM »
i agree it's her commission so she will have to answer any hangups you have about its look or shape.