Author Topic: Boxes  (Read 6365 times)

andersonec

Boxes
« on: February 28, 2015, 04:20:05 PM »
Going to throw myself in at the deep end and show my latest attempt at a few boxes, the designs for these are from Chris Stott's book. I really make Jewellery boxes but try to turn boxes to compliment them as they are more affordable which allows me to at least sell some stuff during the course of one day's craft fair. For interests sake I have included a picture of a jewellery box which I have recently finished.

Andy

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Boxes
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 04:37:45 PM »
WOW that is nice work the finish looks amazing.
Very well done
Andy add C&C Welcome or members might not comment

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 05:20:22 PM »
A nice little collection of turned boxes. The flatwork is going to put anything shown with it in the shade. Absolutely gorgeous.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 05:22:58 PM »
What a lovely looking set of box's, the contrast in the sap and heart wood make a big difference. Well turned Andy. Les

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 05:40:21 PM »
Three really fine, turned boxes as well as a beauty in-the-square. I like the idea of the little finial/knob on the first box, it just adds that special little something to it.

As for George's comment...
...Andy add C&C Welcome or members might not comment

Regards George

....with work of this quality, Andy's hardly likely to be upset by any unsolicited C&C :)
Les

Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

andersonec

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 06:16:08 PM »
Thanks guy's, I didn't think of putting up C&C's welcome, not up to speed yet. I spend quite a lot of time over one of these, it can take me a whole day to make two and if something goes wrong, which it invariably does, then it's a day to do one. Hopefully I will get quicker.

Andy

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 06:55:06 PM »
Hi Andy,
             Yes a great set of small boxes the finish is perfect in the parting of the lid from the bottom you do not seem to have lost any line up of the grain can I ask what have you set in the lids? and if possible could you post a picture looking down. fabulous  :)

Regards John
John Smith

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 07:02:12 PM »

3 very well turned and well presented boxes. The 1st one on the right stands out for us.
      Could I ask what finish you have used on the yew.
     Having seen your square boxes previously they are all up to a high standard.
     Regards Tony di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 07:31:31 PM »
I think those few of us with only enough room for a lathe are extremely jealous of your jewellry box, to have the room to allow us to have the tools and room to make such beautiful items would be something many of us would aspire to.

It would be interesting to see you include a turned aspect to one of your boxes.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 11:04:45 PM »
Most excellent indeed , not common / classic shapes ,but they work very well indeed and with an excellent finish well done !!       Very classy jewellery box as well....

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 07:08:21 AM »
Great looking set of boxes your are a man of many talents :)

Could you tell me what the wood is for the box on the right?

Ed

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 04:10:02 PM »
Very nice indeed.

andersonec

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 08:05:56 PM »
Hi Andy,
             Yes a great set of small boxes the finish is perfect in the parting of the lid from the bottom you do not seem to have lost any line up of the grain can I ask what have you set in the lids? and if possible could you post a picture looking down. fabulous  :)

Regards John

John, sorry for not replying before but was laid up with one of my debilitating migraine's.

As far as not losing any grain, Chris Stott's technique is that you replace what you have removed when parting off with a contrasting piece of wood and cut it back until the grain lines up.

The inserts are Agate Cabochons, I struggled to find any in this country so went on to ebay and contacted a couple of the Chinese sellers of this sort of stuff, after many emails and photo's going back and forth (they were very patient and helpful) I got a couple of selections sent (see photo of some) which worked out to about about £1.80 each and free postage, don't know how they do it but....

Andy
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 08:08:15 PM by andersonec »

andersonec

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 08:14:56 PM »

3 very well turned and well presented boxes. The 1st one on the right stands out for us.
      Could I ask what finish you have used on the yew.
     Having seen your square boxes previously they are all up to a high standard.
     Regards Tony di

George, the finish I use on my turnings is the usual sanding to 400 grit, sanding sealer and then Mylands Cutting Wax, this is a wax which acts a bit like burnishing cream as it has some miniscule powdered abrasive included, I apply it with a piece of cloth which is kept in the tin so it is completely saturated with the wax, or you could use yellow webrax or even kitchen roll as that also has some abrasive qualities. I apply it with quite a lot of pressure to allow the abrasive to do it's work (until the wax is melting) and buffed off straight away, again with quite a bit of pressure. It leaves a lovely touchy feely finish and has a very pleasant smell.

Andy
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 08:19:03 PM by andersonec »

andersonec

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 08:16:49 PM »
Great looking set of boxes your are a man of many talents :)

Could you tell me what the wood is for the box on the right?

Ed

Ed, the one on the right is Laburnum branch-wood with a bit of the sapwood left for the lovely contrast it creates as does the Yew.

Andy