Author Topic: Sand/grit blasting  (Read 5505 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Sand/grit blasting
« on: August 20, 2014, 06:47:21 PM »
I've just started dabbling with sand blasting for texturing surfaces. Does anyone out there have any experience of this, and if so, what grade of grits have you used for different effects?

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Sand/grit blasting
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 10:07:05 PM »
Les,

you asked this question and have received no answers.

Truthfully I don't have one for you either as my workshop is too small for the inclusion of a compressor, as much as I'd love one.

But one thing I do know is Bicarbonate of Soda is a very good gentle abrasive that can be used through these systems. You might use a bit more than if you were using a grit of some sort, but it depends upon your source of Bi-carb. Do you know anywhere you can get hold of old Dry Powder Fire Extinguishers - they are full of the stuff.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 06:15:14 AM »
Les,

you asked this question and have received no answers.

Truthfully I don't have one for you either as my workshop is too small for the inclusion of a compressor, as much as I'd love one.

But one thing I do know is Bicarbonate of Soda is a very good gentle abrasive that can be used through these systems. You might use a bit more than if you were using a grit of some sort, but it depends upon your source of Bi-carb. Do you know anywhere you can get hold of old Dry Powder Fire Extinguishers - they are full of the stuff.
Thanks, Bryan...I'll give the bicarb a try.
Les

PhilipS

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 11:41:19 AM »
If you haven't found these sites already you may find some helpful information contained on the sites and pdf.

http://www.kramerindustriesonline.com/AO.html

http://www.guyson.co.uk/assets/uploads/files/guyson_blast_media_guide.pdf

Philip

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 04:27:01 PM »
If you haven't found these sites already you may find some helpful information contained on the sites and pdf.

http://www.kramerindustriesonline.com/AO.html

http://www.guyson.co.uk/assets/uploads/files/guyson_blast_media_guide.pdf

Philip
thanks Philip....both very useful links.

Les

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 04:40:11 PM »
I use either aluminium oxide or ceramic grit. For deep texture use 60 grit or coarser, for finer stuff, possibly up to 180 grit.

Depending what you have in mind, you might also want to look in to sandblasting film, which can be used as a masking medium. You can also improvise with masking tape, duct tape etc.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 06:05:06 PM »
I use either aluminium oxide or ceramic grit. For deep texture use 60 grit or coarser, for finer stuff, possibly up to 180 grit.

Depending what you have in mind, you might also want to look in to sandblasting film, which can be used as a masking medium. You can also improvise with masking tape, duct tape etc.

Thank you Paul. I bought some quite fine stuff and have textured the outside of a sycamore crotch bowl, just enough to give it a full matt finish to contrast with the high gloss on the inside. I really like the finish and fancy experimenting, so your info could well prove useflu.

Thanks...Les

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 10:15:58 PM »
Don't know if you know Pascal Oudets work Les.. He sandblasts oak mainly but perhaps worth a look at his site to see what can be achieved.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 06:47:14 AM »
Don't know if you know Pascal Oudets work Les.. He sandblasts oak mainly but perhaps worth a look at his site to see what can be achieved.

Pete

Yep, Pete....it was as a result of seeing his work that i took the plunge and bought the kit.....he is immensely inspiring.
Les

Rlewisrlou666