Author Topic: Strange question? Makers marks/Logo ID  (Read 10616 times)

Offline julcle

• platinum
Re: Strange question? Makers marks/Logo ID
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 01:14:39 PM »
Haven't really thought about it Ryan, it's only 1MT head & tail so quite small but a good little lathe never the less. Let me know if you need the manual and I will set to copying it.  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 05:24:19 PM »
Hi Les,
Where would be the best place to post up a W.I.P so I can update on my progress as I go. For my own personal use and for anyone else that decide to take on something like this.

Hi Ryan...in the General Discussion section of the forum, I would suggest. We often put WIP's in the gallery, but only when it's WIP's of individual pieces of turning, so stick with the General Discussion area and you can't go wrong......UNLESS you're going to review the lathe and let us all know how it performs, in which case you could use the Tools, Tips and Reviews. Personally, I think that either section of the forum would be OK for your project.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 05:51:58 PM »
I look forward to following that.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 10:58:03 PM »
Hi Ryan

If you can get her running smooth and safe why not leave the finish as it is it's not going to turn any better, if you decide to upgrade in the future and you want a better price for it paint it then.

I have a 10 month old Axminster AT1628VS which as done over 2000 hours and I look after it but it still looks like a lathe that's done 2000 hours. The tail stock runs smooth along the bed, the head stock slides along the bed and swivels around the live centre meets with the centre that I mount in the head stock, so it does what it needs to do.

Just enjoy it and enjoy your woodturning :-)

As to the tools re-handle the Sorby's and if the Dove is not HSS chuck it and use the paint money to replace it :-)

Ed

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 11:14:01 PM »
if the Dove is not HSS chuck it and use the paint money to replace it :-)

Ed

Why?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 11:26:51 PM »

Any suggestions for getting the spur out with minimal hitting with knocking sticks?

I'm used to fixing cars/custom bikes.

You've a mechanical back ground .. you'll understand my terms.

Try a good soak with as you've got it WD40 or likewise penetrating fluids,  I've gone over to GT85 more as it's a little lubricant as well.

The threads stop one from shocking the shaft, tapping round it between 2 hammers, one as an anvil. There's clearance between the end of the shaft and back of the spur, you could try to pry it out, I've manage it once (not the done thing) with a spanner which just cleared the shaft of the drive, having the main back of the jaws on the shoulder of the spindle and levered against the back of the drive, at that time it was just tight, but yours may well be seized, could have to resort to the likes of a ball join splitter or something the same. 

Wondering if you're strip the shaft out, let it soak in a container of fluid, even diesel I'm given too believe can work well.

The shaft could be heated gentle (only if removed) that it would help release the drive, displace the rust too. The shaft is no doubt small and it's the MT1 drive, so with whatever means there's a likelihood of damage/distortion... Last thing we want is to destroy the shaft .. drives are plentiful. One last thing I wonder how good the thread will be once cleaned, may effect the run out of any faceplate/chuck fitted.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 07:46:17 AM »
Thanks David,

I think a combination of the soak and the ball joint splitter will be easier and sounds the best option.

I'm hoping that the threads are still good on the inboard side after cleaning if not I'm thinking maybe re-thread or replace if needed.
The outboard side on the other hand looks like the previous owner has fitted a drill chuck that is drilled/tapped/bolted onto the shaft to deal with the LH thread.

I'll start to strip her down today and be sure to take lots of pictures I'm waiting on the assembly manual so I have a deeper knowledge of what to expect.
I don't want any nasty surprises by finding out that something was LH thread after it has sheered off.

Thanks Ed,

I'm going to get it running like a new machine if not an upgraded old machine.
I thought about leaving the paint as is and giving it a coat of sealer/lacquer to keep it looking antique, but I'd like to start using it as a new machine so any dinks knocks or scratches are mine.
Plus I'm a bit anal like that. :)

As for the tools I'm thinking at this stage I need all I can get my hands on and could use the practise by making new handles for them. Unless you have any laying around gathering dust ;) lol

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 05:27:58 PM »

This is the Makers mark I'm talking about.