Author Topic: Lathes  (Read 18302 times)

Mark Sanger

Re: Lathes
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 08:26:35 PM »
I will agree with Mark about the Killinger Lathe it is a wonderful piece of kit, however and I am not sure about the Model 1450 as I haven't seen this one advertised. The 1400 Lathe is the smaller of the two what I would call domestic lathes that Killinger make and this one Doesn't have the sliding head stock, the larger of the two Model 1500 does have the sliding headstock but the price was too high for me at nearly £1000 more. I have had mine for nearly 18 months now and it has performed faultlessly.

The 1450 is the new one just released. I demonstrated on the 1400 as you have and was impressed. The 1400 in  is was very solid, exceptional engineering a pleasure to use.

Don't get me wrong I still love my Maxi 1, just times move on and new stuff comes on the market. It is an excellently made piece of kit.

The 1400 was more than adequate, most pieces that you will sell are on the smaller scale as people don't have the space to place large pieces.For me size is a woodturners mirage, I was the same, made large stuff then realized that very few people want to purchase it. I have sold one piece at 32 inch diameter, but hundreds of 6-8 inch pieces. So try not do get hung up on the size of stuff that can be made on a lathe, but the fine points of a lathe that make turning more efficient.

Of course if you want to turn 6 ft spindles then you need a good length bed, again horses for courses.

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 08:19:31 AM »
What a lot to think about!

After looking at the Killinger range,  the 1500se interests me,  the 1450 does seem a little light for such a price,  and there are a few reviews talking about it being unstable with larger uneven pieces.  As I intend to make some larger items,  that is of concern.
John Simon Lawrenson

Mark Sanger

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 09:53:37 AM »
What a lot to think about!

After looking at the Killinger range, the 1500se interests me, the 1450 does seem a little light for such a price,  and there are a few reviews talking about it being unstable with larger uneven pieces.  As I intend to make some larger items,  that is of concern.

There is always a lot to think about, this is part of the problem I think, too much choice.  :)

I turned on the smaller 1400 with out of balance pieces and it was fine. But I hear what you are saying, I don't know many lathes in this lower price bracket that won't wobble if used too high speed for the piece unless you are going to go the the Vicmarc 300, VB or Magma Black Titan range and these are up in the £4000-£6000 + bracket.

Having used all the lathes mentioned here and more (except the Magma and VB) all of them will move if the operator is not treating the piece being turned with the respect it deserves, a powerful 3 phase motor has the power for turning/cut large pieces without the revs, plus large diameter pieces have a much higher peripheral speed at the cutting edge, so again you don't need the revs as with a smaller piece. There is a lot, lot more to a lathe than just its weight.

A large piece of wood flying around at mach three is dangerous and with the power any of the lathes mentioned it is more than enough to cut at a lower safe speed.

I apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs, but be careful if you turn large out of balance pieces as if a 200kg plus lathe moves/wobbles then it is too fast for the wood being turned ,it is only as safe as the fixing, spigot etc holding the wood. It would be interesting to know what floor these reviewers placed the 1450 on and if it was set up properly, often it is not the machine but the user. Over the years several people in the States have been killed turning large pieces of wood, it doesn't take prisoners if it goes wrong and a full face mask won't stop any such blunt force trauma.

I wish you all the best with your choice, what ever you choose you will have fun with it I am sure and let us know how you get on.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 09:55:40 AM by Mark Sanger »

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 11:22:29 AM »
Having looked at the Killinger website the 1450 looks very impressive however I can't seem to find any reviews on it and I notice that Phil doesn't have any mention of the Lathes on his new website perhaps it's still under development. I would be interested if you have any links to the reviews Katchin
Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 05:23:05 PM »
Here's a review I did on the Killinger lathes a couple of years ago.

http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/page.asp?p=2249

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 07:33:37 PM »
Hi Katchin

I was looking to buy the Killinger but then I found the Axminster Trade Series AT1628VS, you should take a look if you are thinking of going down the Killinger route. I've mounted 40kg spun out front on mine and it did not go anywhere.

Ed

Offline cookie21

• iron
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2014, 08:27:45 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that the axminster 1628 comes out of the same far eastern factory as the killinger might be worth a word with axi, I bet the killinger is not made, maybe designed, in germany
                  barry

Mark Sanger

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 11:48:05 PM »
Thanks Paul

for the review, good to have it.

I have had time to read it this morning and an excellent review.

Barry

thanks for the info I will do some inquiries. Are you Samuel Barry from Axminster Power Tools by any chance, ?? if so not need to contact them as we have the answer.  :)

I must say that when I used the Killinger and looked at the 1450 I just assumed ( and you know what they say about that  :) :)) it was made in Germany as the quality and finishing was excellent if it indeed is from the same place then the quality of work being produced now in Asia which is possibly a bad thing our companies in the UK and Europe but that is an aside.

It would be wrong of me to say that I believe the Killinger is better than the Jets as the jets I have used were also excellent quality, I used the , power etc and I have not come across any problems with them and almost purchased one, but for the fixed sliding head for which in my small workshop would not work for my style of turning. Even with a sliding head it means if the machine is near to a wall I am unable to get the tool swing to stand or produce deep bowls/vessels and hollow forms with a steep undercut. This is my personal preference and I have never liked fixed head lathes due to the floor area needed for producing a variety of work, but then I am not a spindle turner for whom a swivel head is not required.

Like Ed I also found the Axminster  AT1628VS and was well impressed with it for the money and also liked the swivel head included and is also worth a good look at.

All the best.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 08:14:44 AM by Mark Sanger »

Offline cookie21

• iron
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 03:15:29 PM »
Hi Mark
         I have no connection with Axminster, I just remember reading they came out of the same factory & that was confirmed by someone from Axminster tools, could have seen it on the UK Workshop forum. I,ll try a search
                                                                   Barry

Offline cookie21

• iron
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 03:25:48 PM »
found the axminster reply

Richard@Axminster   
 Post subject: Re: What everyone think of the new Axminster lathes?Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:59 am
Settling In

Hi everyone,

Yes this come from the same maker who produces the Killinger Lathes.

regards,

Find me on Linked in

Mark Sanger

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2014, 03:44:36 PM »
Hi Mark
         I have no connection with Axminster, I just remember reading they came out of the same factory & that was confirmed by someone from Axminster tools, could have seen it on the UK Workshop forum. I,ll try a search
                                                                   Barry

Thanks for that, sorry I got my wires crossed with someone on Linkedin

Thanks for the info, good to know from the horses mouth so to speak although I still will do some direct inquiries with the company, goes to show how over a short time they have really raised the bar in the far east in relation to engineering compared to a few years ago, not much hope for us over here.

Thanks again for searching it out.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 04:30:27 PM by Mark Sanger »

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2014, 06:38:07 PM »
has anyone been luck enough to try either the robust american beauty or the serious SL2542???

http://www.turnrobust.com/PDF's/AB_Spec_Sheet_20140120.pdf
http://www.turnrobust.com/AB_Photo_Gallery.html

http://www.serioustoolworks.com/wood-lathes.php

i want one but don't think either are in this country yet.

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2014, 04:02:46 PM »
They do look good,  but no,  also do not see them over here yet.

Leaning towards the Killinger 1500 a lot now,  whilst I could fit the Jet into the workshop,  it's length plus room to turn at the end would be a bit too long really. Hoping to go to to the Daventry show tomorrow and combine it with a quick visit to Phil Irons,  but not been able to contact him so far.

We'll see.
John Simon Lawrenson

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2014, 09:37:28 PM »

John, How did it go with Phil, will we read of a proud new owner of a Killinger.

Good to have met up with you, all being it was short.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2014, 10:04:37 PM »
yep great thanks, ordered a 1450 with bed extension and outrigger :)
John Simon Lawrenson