Author Topic: Spinning top dimensions  (Read 9080 times)

Gizmo3k

Spinning top dimensions
« on: July 31, 2014, 12:26:12 PM »
Hi,

Does anyone have any good sources of information for spinning tops?

So far I have made two. My first attempt looks terrible (it was the first thing I made, wasn't even sanded, and no finish applied), however it spins really well.

The second looks much nicer, but doesn't spin at all  >:(

I have a good idea what is wrong with it (bottom section too narrow and long, spindle too wide), but was wondering if there were any good resources out there to help me plan the next ones?

I am turning these out of cheap (free!) pine offcuts, they probably won't ever be anything special, but they are good practice. I practice my cuts on a spindle, then try to turn some of those cuts into tops so I have something to show at the end of it!  :D

Thanks

Alan

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: Spinning top dimensions
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 12:51:10 PM »
sound like an imbalance rather than bad turning.

there should be no formula or proportion that everyone need follow but it's obvious that a low wide one will have a better gyroscopic motion than a tall thin one.

this sort of shape should be fine,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UeHOAzjomU

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 02:06:55 PM »
I make loads of them as pocket money items at shows. Dimensions aren't really relevant as long as they are well balanced. There are dozens of different shapes and sizes and if you Google finger tops and look at the images you will see plenty of different types.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Gizmo3k

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 02:11:02 PM »
I think the main fault with this one is that it is top-heavy - it can't stabilize before it falls over. There is a slight flare out at the very top, which won't help.

Ah well, you learn more from ones that don't work than from ones that do!  :)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 03:34:44 PM »
Alan, have a look at Glenn Lucas ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy-sOUvTMIo ... that will come in time and with understanding what can be done with a skew. Few other videos of making top links there as well.

Take care at all times.  David

PS...  And this leads into the spindle gouge,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7gQv6SrUUA&feature=related .. don't get carried away for the moment on grinds, as the video is about, master the standard/factory grind, in time and better understanding you can create a grind which best suits you or the work you then make.

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 03:48:49 PM by woodndesign »
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 03:53:13 PM »
top heavy really shouldn't matter as you can put a point on the handle end and spin tops upside down.

as pete says balance is the real issue here if you are using branch wood then pick a bit with the pith at the centre or quarter saw a block and use that.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 04:43:13 PM »
As long as the whole thing is symmetrically balanced around the centre point it will spin. If you want it to spin for a long time you need weight towards the bottom ideally but as 7th devil says many you can spin upside down, something I often do at shows to try and encourage people to buy. Here's some of the ones I have done, as you can see they come in all shapes and sizes.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 08:37:24 PM »
We had spinning top competitions in the club, and also made a shed load for a local school, the designs were as varied as the tops and they all worked. Tops and mushrooms are a beginners favourite because if the wood is of even density, you cannot really go wrong.
Ron

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 08:46:09 AM »
Hi

There are some useful articles here:

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_projects.php?catid=65

Cheers Dave