Author Topic: Where to get best workshops?  (Read 6302 times)

carl.warburton

Where to get best workshops?
« on: May 17, 2011, 11:32:55 PM »
Hi is there anyone out there that could help. I have had to move to Norwich and need to buy a workshop to home my lathe etc. I would prefer a wooden one to be in keeping with the surroundings and not upset the neighbours. I need one that is rigid and a decent size so if anyone out there knows of a good supplier or have experience of buying one and being happy with it please let me know.
Many thanks
Carl

Andy Coates

Re: Where to get best workshops?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 07:27:31 AM »
Carl, give me a call later on today. I can't remember their name, but can get it this morning, and they're at Yarmouth on the dockside. Might be C&C...

carl.warburton

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 12:24:24 PM »
Thanks Andy
It was C+C great Yarmouth. They were very helpful and they use 15mm tounge and groove all over which is by far thicker than all other ones I had looked at and the windows are Glass. They put the doors and windows where you want them and erect it for free on delivery. All ordered being delivered on 17th June cant wait.
Thanks again

Carl

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 12:38:02 PM »
Carl, That was good service,one question I would ask C&C is the Glass in the windows Toughened.Regards John 
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 06:58:08 PM »
Wow..   Good going alround... roll on 17th June, just may be early, hope you get fine weather to put a base down, 1st and next thing..
This is the type I have, it's very close too 22mm (20) t&g... and is soild, more than OK.. http://www.citycentresheds.co.uk/product.php?prod_id=121   The big problem would have been is their in Liverpool form you.. I'd done a good deal, with getting the 1st 20 miles which was free, off..  (the delivery/erection guys, were a bit pi@@ed... as it was a greater distance than the boss had told them..) as I see the prices have gone up and a charge now on most of which I'd got as standard..       I too had wanted glass, but the workshop was ready before they had the glass, which should of followed, with the trusses, which the display model had in it, having gone up to see what it should be like before ordering..  none of it  came in the end, so when in 2 wks the roof line dropped, I got in timber, push it back level and made up my own, better timber and job too, than trying to work with their after thought.   And I have had no problem since, really nice workshop.   Just needs insulation and Electric...   ???...

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 08:39:21 PM »
Hi

When I got my shed six years ago now I insulated it with loft insulation and covered it with 1/4 ply in the roof and 3/8 on the walls.  The sockets around the walls are on two separate circuits as are the lights.  I added an outside socket which is very useful for the lawnmower.

I also added two oil filled radiators linked to a thermostat.  I set this to about 8 degrees so it is always dry and warm in winter.

You may also want to insure it - I have included mine in the house contents insurance - I'm with NFU.

Enjoy your new shed Carl.

Cheers Dave

myatt1972

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 10:16:23 PM »
Carl, That was good service,one question I would ask C&C is the Glass in the windows Toughened.Regards John 

Good point, go for laminated if you get a choice.
Toughened smashes into little pieces, laminated just cracks and stays in place.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 09:31:56 AM »
When's the shed warming party? I'll bring the first shavings.......
Brian ;D

Andy Coates

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 09:50:46 PM »
Oi, Brian! I've promised to provide ALL the shavings for Carl's new shed...find another home for your waste please! ;D

carl.warburton

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 09:00:11 AM »
Guys
It's nice to see you fighting over my space that hasn't even arrived yet I'm touched lol ;D

Carl

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 11:38:50 AM »
No panic Carl, it's just a continuation of the Nicely Norfolk versus Silly Suffick civil war. Andy knows exactly where to find the best shavings in Christendom... If only my turned stuff was up to the same standard :D
But returning to the thread.... Yarmouth has a multitude of shed builders, of all designs and qualities, so take a drive around and negotiate hard, face to face before jumping, would be my advice.
All the best
Brian