Author Topic: Instruction manuals  (Read 5038 times)

Offline Derring

• iron
Instruction manuals
« on: May 12, 2011, 10:24:17 AM »
There are many occasions when the instruction manuals for various pieces of workshop equipment become lost or destroyed and in some cases fail to be passed on with used machines and tools that we obtain.

On the RouterForums.com website, they have addressed this problem by constructing a free database of scanned manuals submitted by their members, indexed by make and model.

Could a similar facility be made available on this forum or on the Association website?

I know that I have at least one chuck that I don't use because the instructions were missing when it was given to me and I consider it too complicated and dangerous to utilise without this knowledge.

Others must be in the same predicament as me with their lathes, chucks, bandsaws, etc., some of which are no longer in production or supported by their manufacturers.

It would also provide an interesting insight of how long items of equipment last in the workshop.

Offline simon

• copper
Re: Instruction manuals
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 01:34:06 PM »
This is a great idea and would be very useful.

In theory I think it propably breaks copyright restrictions where that is asserted on most manuals but I can't see many suppliers chosing to prosecute AWGB given the link to the customer base.  (although Tobis Kaye did ask for a £5 payment for an emailed copy of his grinding jig as the person who gave it to me could not find the original!!! :o)

So - AWGB mods - what do you think?

btw - I know Axminster have a 'download' section on their site but I think it only covers their 'own-brand' stuff.

BRgds
Simon

Andy Coates

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 05:30:16 PM »
It's a great idea, but not one we could activate on the site for teh very reasons already quoted.

However...there's nothing to stop individuals asking for a given manual in a request post and then what happens in private via email and snail mail is of no concern to anybody else!

Andy

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 10:00:08 AM »
Derring - what sort of chuck do you have?  If you let us know I'm sure someone could help you out.

Manuals for the current and superseded Nova Chuck range can be downloaded from the Teknatool website.

Manuals for the Axminster Range can be downloaded from the Axminster website

Sorby products either have instructions or movie clips on their site as well.

Cheers Dave

myatt1972

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 09:00:48 PM »
My bs350 bandsaw was purchased 2nd hand with no manual, after going through the Record Power download section with no joy I decided to send them an e-mail to ask if I could purchase a hard copy.
The following day I got an e-mail back with the manual attached as pdf, very good service from Record Power.

Offline simon

• copper
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 12:52:56 PM »
My bs350 bandsaw was purchased 2nd hand with no manual, after going through the Record Power download section with no joy I decided to send them an e-mail to ask if I could purchase a hard copy.
The following day I got an e-mail back with the manual attached as pdf, very good service from Record Power.

That was what I was hoping for from Tobis also but no joy  ::).  Have worked it out myself on principle!

S