Author Topic: Walnut bowl  (Read 4604 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Walnut bowl
« on: January 27, 2014, 09:03:52 PM »
I seem to remember saying to myself that I'd not be in a rush to turn walnut again, because I tend to leave marks from the gouge on it....mainly bruising that is quite shallow, but takes a heck of a lot of sanding out. Thankfully, this piece turned really well and didn't bruise at all.
I made it for a shopkeeper who saw a picture of an olive-ash bowl that I made to the same pattern, so I was trying to reproduce the same shape (and scorch-lines) for her.
I've given it a wide, but very short foot, just enough to lift it a few mm to give the impression that its curve of the bowl runs right through from one side to the other.
Overall size is 11" x3" and it's finished with a beeswax/carnauba mix over 2 coats of sanding sealer.

Comments and criticisms always welcome....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: Walnut bowl
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 09:57:49 PM »
I'm not sure that I like the inside looking more polished than the outside, is that by design or just the lighting for the photo, but I think that the two simple lines around the outside set it off. I was given a 2' walnut trunk at the weekend and after seeing this I can't wait to chop it up and give it ago.

All in all I like it

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 10:08:49 PM »
I'm not sure that I like the inside looking more polished than the outside, is that by design or just the lighting for the photo....

Hi Ed....thanks for the comment...the apparent high-er gloss on the inside is just a trick of the light. I think that the rolled-over rim is causing much of the light to bounce around inside the bowl. If anything, the finish on the outside is a little 'higher' than the outside.

... the two simple lines around the outside set it off...

I think so, too. When the shopkeeper where this is going saw a picture of a similar bowl that I'd sold several months ago, she noticed the 2 scorch lines and asked if I could repeat it for her.

Les

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 10:43:50 PM »

Hi Les, I was picking up as Ed, what looked the gloss interior of the bowl, but in the second shot looking over the rim it's not noticed, if it had been so (glossy) it would make a nice contrast detail.

You've one wonderful form, in part due to the walnut, and the lines which do lift the piece an set it off really well.

You've become a bit of a master with your turning, as well as in design.

Cheers  Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 07:06:03 AM »
Hi Les

I need to open my eyes a little more I've just looked again after Dewl post and sure enough I can see the shine light bounce is not visible. I'll change my like it to love it.

It's the sort of thing that I would have purchased before I got the turning bug!!!

Ed

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 07:49:49 AM »
Hi Les,
             "this piece turned really well and didn't bruise at all."Have you ever thought that it didn't bruise because of your increased skill?
Nice bowl. well done.
regards
John BHT

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 08:43:30 PM »
Siwd mae Les
A simple practical design that works really well, and I like the scorched lines to give that little extra detail to the finishing.
Overall it's a Ten from Len ;D sorry, Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 05:18:15 PM »
Love the bowl Les, but can't get my head around the shine which doesn't. I'd call it a conundrum if I thought I could spell it.
Would  I be teaching Gran to suck eggs if I suggested you grind the bottom of your gouge's bevel into a curve to minimize bruising?
Best
Brian

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 06:40:53 PM »
Cheers guys for the comments.

The high gloss interior really is just a trick of the light. in reality it is no more highly glossed than the outside. It has all been sealed, waxed and buffed and there really isn't any variation....yet the light in the photo suggests otherwise.

John/Brian....I think that I used to put far too much pressure against my gouge when rubbing the bevel. I'm aware that whilst I now hold the gouge in a more controlled way, I am using a firm hold to control the movement of the tool rather than just forcing it into the wood. It's not an easy thing to explain, but I guess that it's a process that many of us go through when learning to turn.

Les

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 07:55:39 PM »
i really like this its simple and just works

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 12:30:13 PM »
      Hi LES  Kept looking at your piece the sapwood has a lovely tone against the heart wood
      and a nice simple form. You have captured something again.
      a very nice piece.

Tony and Diane
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/