Author Topic: What's your sign ..  (Read 3922 times)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
What's your sign ..
« on: December 14, 2013, 01:25:28 AM »

Just wondered as to what you have as a sign, if at all, so to knick off, don't laugh.

Something I made years ago.

Cheers  David

12.6" frame...  9" plate ...

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: What's your sign ..
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 07:59:53 AM »
Hi Dewi....nothing there to laugh at!
Signs should be designed to reflect the nature of the business that they advertise and business names tend to be better-chosen if they, also, reflect the nature of the business that they represent. Your early example causes no confusion. It is  a simple, but effective piece of work which tells the prospective customer much that they need to know about your venture, including the type of product, the materials that you work with and the quality of the work that they can expect. Who could ask more?

As for me, I don't have a sign. I won't be advertising the fact that I work out of my home as I don't really want customers calling at the house. For now, I'm simply using a Facebook page to get a bit of local business, so I'm using image of some of my work....which seems to be working well. If you want to see it, visit https://www.facebook.com/otterwoodcraft

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 07:39:56 PM »

Thank you wery much for the reply, Les.

I like your use of FB ... shows it has it's advantages, as much as a blog, Like you've said it gets you out there.

You're a near neighbour too, Well what's 81 miles, or 1hr 52 mins. Looks a nice spot.

Should I get the time to be more productive, it should be ideal.

Cheers   Dewi

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »
Your sign is great,even if made yrs ago,might its a good idea to get peoples thoughts on this and their own signs,sans address.I don`t have a sign,but I turned a plaque for the house with number and street carved onto itas people used miss us as they drove past,its made out of some offcuts of decking gorilla glued along the edge,then bunged on the lathe turned down to about 16-17ins across,then carved,nothing special,just something wife asked for,she loves it though,haven`t put a pic as address is on it.Cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 08:02:18 PM »

Cheers Eric, I can well visualize your sign.

This was not really a first, as at my parents home in the country as a lad, people missed us, if not the house, at that time I carved the house name on a large board and place on a bracket beside the road.

Always into doing something with wood ... two or three gates over time ...  ;D ..

Cheers   David

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 09:16:31 PM »
What else?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 09:27:40 PM »
What else?

Flying fish ...  ;) .. no I can see what it is .. I use a sweeping Signerica font for my initials dgp ..

Cheers David