Author Topic: Sometimes the simplest solution works!  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Sometimes the simplest solution works!
« on: December 10, 2013, 07:26:47 PM »
If anyone remembers that batch of half-rotten spalted holly that I bought, they'll remember the splits, cracks and bark inclusions that it was riddled with. There were just a few pieces left over and they were destined for the log-burner, when I was asked to make 4 more Christmas tree baubles, one each for family members of the farmer on whose land the holly grew. Now, nobody in their right mind tries to turn spindles from wood like that, But I felt impelled to try (clearly not of the right mind, then, am I?).
The first two pieces went fairly well and needed a few minor adjustments to allow for splits. The next two pieces got dumped half-way through because they were just too awful to carry on. Then the fifth piece seemed to be going well and I was just roughing out the neck-end, when it started to wobble frantically. What I needed was something to hold the tail-stock end to stop it throwing about. To the rescue came a rubber door-stop that I'd bought this afternoon from a hardware shop when I'd been browsing around the shelves picking things that I had no immediate use for, belt felt might just come in handy one day.
Such a simple solution...perfect for the job!

Not one of the four baubles will win a prize....they were made just so that 'the kids' could each have something simple made out of that huge old holly tree.
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Sometimes the simplest solution works!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 07:43:32 PM »
A good half of the wood I turn has splits and cracks like that Les, often produces the most wonderful pieces. Trick is to be careful and not get upset when it falls apart. Mark Sanger dubbed it as the Wabi Sabi approach, never throw anything away and enhance and celebrate faults.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 07:49:25 PM »
Hi Pete....I'd noticed that wabi-sabi term cropping up and wondered what it was all about; now I know. The best thing about this little batch of baubles is that they'll be loved simply because it was their tree...the splits and cracks will just make them all the more interesting.

p.s. ... all the best with the INTUiT application; hope it all goes well.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 10:15:05 PM »
Les,

I've made many tail-stock work supports but never thought to use a rubber bung.

Good problem solving and another reason we fill our workshops with all-sorts of things, knowing that one day......
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!