Author Topic: Connect-the-dots Vessel  (Read 3815 times)

Clavico

Connect-the-dots Vessel
« on: May 19, 2013, 08:28:14 PM »
Hollow vessel in cherry is 4" high and 5" in diameter. The lid is catalox and red palm.   It has a nice feel when you hold it because of the pyro. Inside is painted with gold acrylic. I know the form is a bit unusual but different. Criticism and comments always welcome. Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 08:36:06 PM by Clavico »

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: Connect-the-dots Vessel
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 08:43:19 PM »
Hi Clavico,
            I quite like the form being a bit different. Catalox? never heard of that before.
Nice job.
Regards
John BHT

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 08:44:40 PM »
Hi Robert, This is a really nice piece, stunning details and pyrography... if one thing I'm not too sure on the lid, it works .. but ..

Well done and thank you for sharing.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Clavico

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 09:01:34 PM »
Hello and thanks for the comments.

Catalox? maybe the spelling is wrong. Comes from Mexico and in German is Katalox.

Yeah the lid seems to be too thick and doesn't have a good enough transition with the vessel but still I sort of like it. Oh well, I'll keep on plugging away.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Robert

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 09:06:38 PM »
The lid works for me, I like the way that it steps up, each time reflecting the shape beneath it. What I like more than that is the way that those 3 different materials work so well together. The cherry-pyro goes remarkably well with the insert in the lid and the colours all compliment each other well.
Good one!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 08:41:21 AM »
Hi All,
              after looking on the internet I have managed to find the latin name...Trophis Racemosa and it appears to be part of the Mulberry family. It looks to be a beautiful timber, almost rosewood like. Clavico, what was it like to work?
It obviously takes a polish very well and I think it has been used to an advantage on this piece.
Regards
John BHT

Peteg

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 08:49:03 AM »
Nice work on the turn & embelishment, must admit I prefer the vessel on its own,  :)
Pete

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 09:00:41 AM »
Robert,

The only thing I can say about the form is, as you've noted, the transition from the shoulder to the lid looses the curve a little bit, maybe that's why the lid works for me. I think it needs the size to carry the whole form properly. A small inverted dish top would look lost.

But the Pyro/Texture work is great. It lifts the cherry to a whole new level.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Francesco Dibari

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 08:31:26 AM »
it's a stunning work .. many compliments ..  :)

Clavico

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 07:32:11 PM »
Hello John.

sorry about the delay in answering your question about the katalox.  I polishes very well but is somewhat brittle and very hard. It isn't the easiest wood to turn. I have only used it for lids and small parts.

Thanks for the interest.  Thanks everyone for your comments.

Robert