Author Topic: Sal's lamp and a new box!  (Read 3265 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Sal's lamp and a new box!
« on: April 25, 2013, 09:02:47 PM »
Not much going on in the workshop this week as it's a bit busy in work and I'm generally happy to collapse in the evening, but SWMBO - AAC (Sal) decided that it would be nice to turn that big, knotty, gnarled and wormy lump of yew into a table lamp.

The base stands 130mm high and is 130mm diameter, so I was a bit concerned that it might look a bit boxy, but the shade draws the eye upwards and makes the proportions look much better.

Meanwhile, I' ve just bought a copy of Chris Stott's 50 turned boxes, and this is my first attempt to turn a box inspired by his designs.

The main body and the button are padauk, whilst the lid is from an offcut of maple. It's 130mm overall height and 70mm diameter at the widest point.

I scaled the box up from the one shown in the book, but I think that perhaps the lid could have been a little flatter and the button quite a bit smaller....it tends to overpower the lid.

That's what I think, but I'm happy to take comments and criticisms.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
Re: Sal's lamp and a new box!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 09:33:22 PM »
Noswaith dda Les!

I think you've done a cracking job on the box.
The contrasting timbers work really well together.A nicely turned lip for the lid to sit on and  a nicely turned underside to the lid. It  sits nicely in the recess just below the shoulder of the box. I agree, the button could have been a bit smaller but overall a very nice piece and a job well done.
Have you been "tango'd" by the padauk?????

Da iawn
Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 09:44:24 PM »
Diolch Rod....and yes, I now have a fake tan that David Dickenson would die for. When I turned the body of the box I also prepared 2 more blanks from the same piece, so my tan will last for a couple of days yet.
Hwyl....Les

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 08:53:02 AM »
Hi George...fair comment, given the way that it looks in the photo. I think that the camera angle has caused apparent foreshortening of the pot. In fact, it's 70mm at the widest point, and 35mm at the base.
Les

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 09:05:41 AM »
Hi Les,
       a nice pot that looks to be nicely turned, I think you are right about the knob, maybe something a little more delicate like a church spire?
I like the fact that you have paid interest to the inside of the lid.
well done
Regards
John BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 07:58:06 PM »
Les,

I like the knob, nice and round, I also like the dissimilar colours of the timbers. I agree with George on the shape but take your point on the foreshortening.

As for the Table Lamp, what I can see looks good, the lower shape of it is attractive while maintaining a good stable footfall.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 09:22:10 PM »
Thanks Bryan....in fact, the 'lower shape' that you mention is all that there is. In the second of the photos you can just see a step of several millimetres, mostly hidden by the lamp-shade. Above this step the lamp-base levels off with a very gentle curve, to the lamp-holder.
Les

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 11:22:59 PM »

Yew made a good job of the lamp and I'd go with the box just this once ..  ;D .. no it's all good practise.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''