Author Topic: Stretching my skills!  (Read 3263 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Stretching my skills!
« on: April 20, 2013, 06:42:47 PM »
I saw a pommander like this in a magazine a few months ago and decided to have a go at making one, but couldn't find the magazine today, so had to make it up as I went along. It really stretched my skills and made me think through the process of chucking and re-chucking, more than i've had to for anything else that I've turned.
The lidded bowl is in cherry from mid Wales and measures 105mm diameter with a wall thickness of 4mm, whilst the finials are turned from a single piece of African Blackwood which goes up through the bowl. Overall height is 250mm.

The bottom bowl is glued in place on the finial column and the top bowl slides over the top of the column and just rests in place. I drilled out the top of the column and set a hanging cord into it.

It's very much a prototype and there are a few things that I would change if I were to make any more. It's had just one coat of Danish Oil so far....more to follow
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Stretching my skills!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 07:09:44 PM »
Neat, nice to see you going for something different and doing it well. Looks good

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 08:47:18 PM »
Les,

I think you've done well with this, the Icicle has good definition in it's turning - too fine for this use would be silly as it would be too easily broken.

You've also aligned the grain very well, there does not appear to be much of a step in it between the two halves.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 08:58:47 PM »
Thanks guys....encouraging, as ever! Believe it or not, this lump of cherry was initially at least 6" diameter, but riddled with worm. After skimming an inch off its radius I settled for the finished shape with a few worm holes in it,  but they happened to fit in to the sort of pattern that I was planning for the holes. What took most of the time was the repeated chopping and changing of chucks/drives for the various processes. If I decide to make any more, I'd probably batch-turn a few and try to make better use of the time.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 08:16:17 PM »

Les, mission accomplished you definitely stretched on this one, not only perfect grain alignment, but sphere, hollowing and wall thickness, the tell-tail is once you've drilled the holes, spot on form and finish..

Be very pleased with it.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 08:34:07 PM »
Oh, I am David, I am!.........but it took 4 hours!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 11:17:06 PM »
Oh, I am David, I am!.........but it took 4 hours!

what better time on a wet afternoon ...  Lucky you the time.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''