Author Topic: Holy Orders  (Read 2596 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Holy Orders
« on: December 06, 2012, 02:14:04 PM »
 I turn a lot of goblets in a variety of sizes and styles. This was one of the 'medieval' styled ones with wooden cabochons.  It was bought by a vicar as a communion cup for the Easter services as he liked the fact that it was wood and medieval in style. Wants a plate to match for the wafers.

I turn these in green oak and leave to warp, split etc. Usually don't get much in the way of split though some do take on rather unique shapes across the top at times lol

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Holy Orders
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 07:08:52 PM »
I find this attractive to the eye, many goblets are more bowl (brandy balloon) shaped, I like the tall slim elegance of the work. The decoration, cabochons and ring/raised work and more-so the idea that you leave the green wood to do it's own thing.

Thanks for posting this piece, we trust the ordered plate will appear in these pages sometime in the near future.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 11:36:02 AM »
Thank you both,
goblets are a mainstay for me and so I try and make them as varied as possible. Not a fan of the normal turned ones myself George, they tend to be 'undesigned' in my opinion whereas there are loads of different styles and forms if you look for them,.

Pete

Mark Sanger

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 07:51:37 PM »
Nice work, good to hear you are busy. Catch up sometime.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 09:14:49 PM »
Thanks Mark. Flat out for the next week then probably time to recover and get some new stuff done. Got a bigger lathe thanks to a friend so my scope has expanded LOL.

pete