Author Topic: Pens for the uninitiated!  (Read 3909 times)

petercharlesfagg

Pens for the uninitiated!
« on: December 06, 2012, 12:45:09 PM »
Friends,
This year I was privileged to be able to test some pen turning tools for "Woodturning" magazine.  I was chosen by Mark Baker because I had always held the view that pens and their ilk were one of those tiresome pieces of turning that would never darken my door!

Anyway, I completed the test by making just 1 ball point pen in some unknown wood!

I then forgot all about it until recently when I was asked to make 5 pens as a commission.  This I did but with quite a lot of pain and suffering but strangely enough I started to enjoy the process!!!

Having completed the 5 I decided to make some more but instead of keeping the timber all the same i.e. grain running all the way down, I mixed them up!

This to my mind is more enjoyable and gives me free rein to any ideas I might have during the making process.

Anyway, I am using only the 7 mm Slimline kits but have modified the bottom section to make long term handling a little more user friendly, it gives them that "Hand made" look too!!  

The timber used was, something striped, something Black, something bland and something unidentified!   Thats comprehensive!

Hopefully they could be inspirational to someone else considering the attempt!

Regards Peter.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 12:47:13 PM by petercharlesfagg »

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: Pens for the uninitiated!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 05:09:45 PM »
Hello Peter,
               I think I would have to hold one to make my own mind up about how comfortable they are to hold but they are certainly different from the normal run of the mill pen shapes, perhaps they would catch the eye of customers more so than the ordinary ones.
I must admit to not making many pens myself but on the odd occasion that I do I tend with these kits to flare out closer to the tip.
Regards
John BHT

petercharlesfagg

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 05:51:39 PM »
Sorry Peter they look ugly and uncomfortable to me.

Regards george

Well done George!

I always like it when someone is straight from the shoulder with comments!

Would you care to elaborate?

...................................................................................""......................................................................

The very first pen I made was parallel all the way down to the nib and I tried to use it for my weekly general knowledge crossword but after a very short period of time my hand was aching and I had to keep flexing my fingers.

My design, (I have to call it that) was approved by the purchaser of the 5 commissioned pieces, so I therefore assumed that being a little unconventional was in order!

So I experimented and came up with this configuration, unconventional, Yes! but ugly?

Anyway, I didn't want to make conventional pens, I have tried to turn unconventional bowls, dishes and platters for the last 22 years without great success but it has been fun in the process and most of them have been sold!  I was just going down a road that leads me to other fields!

My thanks, Peter.

petercharlesfagg

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 05:57:40 PM »
Hello Peter,
               I think I would have to hold one to make my own mind up about how comfortable they are to hold but they are certainly different from the normal run of the mill pen shapes, perhaps they would catch the eye of customers more so than the ordinary ones.
I must admit to not making many pens myself but on the odd occasion that I do I tend with these kits to flare out closer to the tip.
Regards
John BHT
John,

Thankyou for the comment.

I tried making the pens to accepted designs but the person I asked said it was because they were accepted designs that he wanted his gifts to be different.  I agree they do look a bit odd, but please try making a pen, even if you NEVER make another, just to try and see if I am right?

Regards Peter.

woody

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 06:33:13 PM »
Hi John a few ideas for you with slimline pens the fatter ones have a different center band that are sold on ebay by Helen

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 07:05:36 PM »
I've said before I don't do pens. Can't tell you why, just never interested me.

I'd like to try write with the 3 middle ones, but I'm with George the two outside ones are ugly.

Then again, I've seen some funny shapes appearing in pens for children and left handers so it would not surprise me to find that the ugly bit (the swelling) sits comfortably in the web of your thumb and feels great to hold.

Personal thought on the shape to one side. They certainly look well turned, are of interesting and varied (if unknown) timbers and have a good finish on them.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Mark Sanger

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 08:08:08 PM »
Hi Peter
I hope you are well.

Pens are not my bag but hollow forms that look like metal are not to everyone's taste either. Personally I like these, as they are practical. The slim ones I dislike as when ever I have written with them they slip through my grip, so I for this reason prefer these.

petercharlesfagg

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 05:33:28 PM »
Hi Peter
I hope you are well.

Pens are not my bag but hollow forms that look like metal are not to everyone's taste either. Personally I like these, as they are practical. The slim ones I dislike as when ever I have written with them they slip through my grip, so I for this reason prefer these.

Thankyou Mark and as you ask, yes, I am reasonably well considering that the years are catching up with me!  You know, pills for this, pills for that, some to keep me going some to slow me down!  I only rattle on very windy days!

Thankyou also for your comments, much appreciated.

Regards Peter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 01:13:30 AM »

Peter, it's good to see some of your work and other than the rattle at times that your well, you've strayed from the platters and nicely too, I like these, my mom had arthritis in her hand and she was supplied a pen of very much these same designs, if I recall right, it was comfortable to grip and wrote well.

If you've a market for them or the wish at all to still make more, do so, stay active and keep Turning and that's not just with the wind..   ;D ...

Cheers and take care.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''