Author Topic: HELP NEEDED  (Read 5526 times)

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
HELP NEEDED
« on: November 27, 2012, 04:19:26 PM »

Can anyone suggest which is the best adhesive to use to set threaded steel bar into African Blackwood so far Araldite and Super Glue have failed to give strong enough bond.

Any suggestions will be appreciated

Cheers Martin
Martin Lawrence

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
Re: HELP NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 06:09:25 PM »
Hi Martin,
Loctite manufacture a large range of adhesives  and have a technical department to which you can email for advice.
The site is www.loctite.co.uk.
Hope this is of help?
Regards
Ken

woody

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 06:16:13 PM »
Thread lock is a blue glue to lock metal threads and nuts so I don't know if that will work 

Offline Buzzbee

• iron
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 06:25:26 PM »
You could always try threading the holes the bar is going into propr to gluing. This would strengthen the joint immensely.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 10:36:05 PM »
Martin,

I use araldite original (24 hr setting time) and threaded bar for walking sticks (to affix the handle). If your having a problem I'd suggest that you are trying to set your bar into a shallow hole and therefore not getting enough grip area.

To do what you want will have to be an epoxy glue/resin.

Can you give us a better clue as to size of bar, depth of hole, what it is you want on the other end size/weight?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 11:13:16 PM »

Hi Bryan,

8mm threaded bar set 20mm into wood, have done this before with other woods no problem it just appears the glues dont set with African blackwood

Have got one clamped up with Gorilla glue over night so will try again in the morning but still open to sugestions

Cheers Martin
Martin Lawrence

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 11:25:52 PM »
Try cleaning the hole & bar with meths prior to gluing.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 08:21:12 AM »
The wood has moisture repellent properties so may well be oily like Lignum which could well affect adhesive properties. Washing in meths as suggested could well be the answer.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 12:31:34 PM »
Try cleaning the hole & bar with meths prior to gluing.

Acetone would be better - used this on Teak when doing boat repairs prior to using epoxy glue and it works extremely well.

Tim

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 12:43:52 PM »
Currently have everything soaking in Cellulose thinners which I beleive is acetone based. Will then try again with Gorilla glue.

Thanks for all the tips  Martin
Martin Lawrence

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 04:32:19 PM »
Hello Martin,
                having a similar problem a while back I ended up using the chemical anchor that you get from screwfix.
regards
John

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 05:45:20 PM »
I wonder if making the sides of the hole tapered and square(ish) before using a 2-pack such as Araldite or, better still, West System would make the adhesive properties less important than the resulting mechanical fixing......Does that make sense??
Brian

Brian Hensby

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 07:28:50 PM »
There are a number of chemical fixing available from Builders merchants etc.
I have used one to fix a metal threaded bar into brick/masonry by just drilling a hole placing the chemical adhesive into it and then pushing the bar home. Getting the bar out afterwards should you need to may require phyisically damaging your brick work or wall it is that good.
Brian H.

Jean

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 05:54:24 PM »
I have successfully glued up African Blackwood to a variety of other woods and internal 'rods' by first degreasing the surface with IPA or cellulose thinners and then using either epoxy or superglue.
While the application was slightly different - the bonds usually held up during further turning.

To bond 8mm threaded rod into Blackwood I would suggest that you have two methods available to you:

Firstly, when you drill your hole for your threaded rod, form a 'keying' slot on the inside of the bore hole. I simply use a threading recess tool (borrowed out of the tub that holds my thread chasers), and use the back corner to form a 'v' or 'U' groove about 6mm inside the hole. This tool fits into an 8mm hole quite easily (was using it today for the same purpose). This provides a kind of 'locking ring' which helps to hold the epoxy in place once it has set.  The threads on the rod will serve the same purpose.  First degrease the wood well, immediately prior to glue up, do glue straight away after the degreasing agent has evaporated.

Secondly, you could drill and tap your hole to suit your threaded rod. African Blackwood takes a thread very easily, and I have seen items made a 100 years ago that were threaded up and still good.  If you then wash your threaded hole with IPA/cellulose thinners, squeeze some araldite/epoxy resin into the hole and screw in your threaded rod, it should stay there for generations.

One thing I have learned from experience is that when you glue a rod into a handle or shaft of a walking stick (or anything else for that matter), it makes life a lot easier if you first drill a 0.5mm 'Dribble Hole' just above the bottom of your hole. This allows excess glue to escape during glue up, is easy to clean off, and no pressure is required to keep the parts together while they cure. It's an age-old technique used in woodworking to prevent the mortises from cracking when the adhesive dries and expands.

I hope this helps.

ps. I tend to make the hole a little deeper. I usually use a 50mm deep bore with 8mm rod.

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 06:31:51 PM »
Thankyou all problem resolved, wash in cellulose first.

Cheers Martin
Martin Lawrence