Author Topic: Selling your goods - Taking payment  (Read 4164 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Selling your goods - Taking payment
« on: November 07, 2012, 12:43:06 PM »
There was a lengthy debate on the use of a Credit Card scanner or the use of PayPal. Well not wishing to reopen it I've started a new thread, having found this (iZettle) on the BBC News web-site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20226894

It links out to the main website (link below) - a system of taking payments using your Android or i-Phone Pad Computer etc. The company takes 2.75% but doen't everyone(!)

https://www.izettle.com/GB

Looks interesting and simpler to use, without all the monthly cost overheads of card readers.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Andy Coates

Re: Selling your goods - Taking payment
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 12:59:08 PM »
That could be useful for lots of people. Thanks for posting.

Andy Coates

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 01:30:10 PM »
Just had a look at the article on BBC news, then the website, and it all looks good.

I signed up for it to see what it's like and I was rejected...figured out the problem...bank details are registered at home not the gallery...went back, re-did it all and it was accepted. Card reader in the post.

I'll let you know how it goes!

One slightly worrying thing...they check you out using "external sources" before accepting the application (only took a minute or so)...so with who and how are they able to do this? Makes you wonder what's available to these big companies!

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 01:43:40 PM »
Looks like a good way to take payments at fairs , or if you don't have card facilities in your shop.  If have a mobile signal that is.

The rates are good to say you don't have a monthly free.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 02:14:40 PM »
Having spent a bit of time researching chip'n'pin for the AWGB, I have to say this looks good. Only problem is as Phillip says, it's subject to having a signal.
The one good thing the card readers have in their favour is the GPS facility so you are always connected.

Must see if I can get iZettle for my phone. 2.75% is a reasonable rate for credit cards but normally the charge is only 30/40p for debit cards.
As always I guess we must make the commercial decision on which route is best.

Will be useful to have  customer reactions to the new system as well-hopefully those who now have iZettle will post some on here.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 05:18:43 AM »
Now that is very slick and real handy.

Andy Coates

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 11:19:53 AM »
UPDATE:

there's a new, almost identical service to iZettle here: https://sumup.co.uk/?gclid=CKuvn6unzLUCFXDKtAodN0AAOw

same % rate but a FREE reader.

iZettle have also just launched a chip & pin reader, £50, instead of the chip & sig version which Sumup offer free as opposed to iZettle's £20.

I imagine the service is just the same but cannot guarantee.

Andy

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 12:19:39 PM »
One slightly worrying thing...they check you out using "external sources" before accepting the application (only took a minute or so)...so with who and how are they able to do this? Makes you wonder what's available to these big companies!

Especially on a Saturday!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 03:46:08 PM »
There's also a new Pappal system called PayPal Here which uses a card reader. Only a few sketchy details from an article in one of the red-tops of all places, earlier this week -  must thank my son for sending it to me.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 04:39:21 PM »
Here's the link mentioned in my post above:

Subject: We’re happy to accept debit cards thanks to new payment gadget | The Sun |News

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4807390/Were-appy-to-accept-debit-cards-thanks-to-new-payment-gadget.html
David
At The Cutting Edge