Author Topic: ASH TREE DISEASE  (Read 10134 times)

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
ASH TREE DISEASE
« on: October 25, 2012, 06:36:07 PM »
Hi everyone, I have just seen on the BBC News about the latest Disease to threaten our ash trees and they suspect it has come from imported
seedlings/ saplings imported into this Country why do we have to import these I am sure we should be capable of growing enough of these for our needs.What do you think? Regards John
John Smith

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: ASH TREE DISEASE
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 06:40:56 PM »
Hi John, we must have had the same thought at the same time. See my thread.
I imagine it all comes down to money in the end.
Regards
John
BHT

petjeffery

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 06:50:33 PM »
I think its very worrying can it speard to other trees as well

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 07:23:26 PM »
Hi John (BHT) Perhaps some one could link the two together. Great minds think alike ;D Regards John
John Smith

Offline davidbrac

• copper
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 08:29:33 PM »
The woodland trust published this link a few weeks ago
http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/en/about-us/faqs/your-woods/Pages/ash-dieback.aspx

The talk is about trees but l think we will find it means wood as well.

I was in the States earlier in the year and they have the same problem but caused by a beetle. the ban in Indiana stops you moving ash wood from one property to another. This really put my friend in a difficult position for his yearly firewood supply, he ended up using walnut as firewood  :o

American ash has been creeping up in price ad seeing it is used i furniture making l would expect it to keep creeping up in price

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 06:59:58 PM »
Having seven ash trees bordering and in my garden, and only 24 miles away from the nearest outbreak of the disease I am very worried about the posibility of losing them.
Had a good look of them today and fingers crossed all is well.
25years ago 4 mature elms at the bottom of the garden were struck by the Dutch Elm disease.Then about 16years ago sapling appeared but these died of the same disease once achieving about 15 ft. It seem the disease is still in the ground?

I cannot understand why there is a need to import saplings and seeds - every year I pull up hundreds of saplings which germinate naturally from seeds.The daily papers say this is a multi £billion business- blimey I have been missing out on a few quid!!

The goverment should ban the import of all seeds/saplings/flowers etc - Australia does.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 03:16:15 PM »
I've extracted the following from a New Scientist Article on the subject. It's not all bad news.

Its [Ash Dieback] progress is almost impossible to halt. "There are few measures you can take," says Jens Peter Skovsgaard, a professor at the Southern Swedish Forest Research Centre, who worked in Denmark during the worst of their ash dieback.

On the plus side, ashes are genetically diverse, and a significant number of trees are resistant to the fungus. That means the outbreak won't be as catastrophic for the landscape as Dutch elm disease, Skovsgaard says.

But there is still a lesson to be learned here: we use non-native plants at our peril. Want to keep out invasive foreign pathogens? Don't buy imported ornamental trees, now the major source.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 01:24:25 PM »
I am sure that most if not all wood turners are concerned about the Ash tree disease.
 Rather than just talking about it I have started an online petition on the HM gov website to stop the importation of saplings and seeds into this country. If we get enough signatures it will be debated in Parliament. Those of you that use other forums please mention the link below.
The address is:-  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/41223

Many thanks.
John BHT

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 04:59:05 PM »
Hi Mark,
             you are just echoing my sentiments but if we are too late for the Ash trees we may be in time for some other species.
Regards
John BHT

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 06:48:05 PM »
Nice idea about the petition -can we spread the news about this wider than the AWGB Forum?? The more signatures the better.

Now there's concern for Plane, Oak and Pine as well as Ash.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 09:38:43 AM »
I put the link on two Facebook pages and in a couple of forums and people are signing already. If any of you use Facebook or perhaps Twitter then I'd recommend putting this up as it is amazing how many people it reaches that way. Whilst I agree with Mark wholeheartedly and have his rather jaundiced view of politicians in general I think if we can get enough people to shout and get over the usual British lethargy we could possibly get some changes.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 11:56:51 AM »
Just signed the petition this  morning. Only 26 signatures so far.

Moderators - can we have all the threads on this topic merged into one as easy to miss key info.

ta
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 04:12:22 PM »
Just checked the e- petition web site  - only 82 have signed to date  :( ???

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 08:16:51 PM »
Sorry about that, meant to; forgot to; but have now.