Author Topic: Scrap Yew  (Read 5513 times)

woody

Scrap Yew
« on: October 25, 2012, 05:52:18 PM »
I made these today they were both dodgy bits of wood one was just an off cut from a log end grain 8" x 4" x 1 1/2" with the shakes LOL the other was a very odd shaped bit that has been laying about for a few years it is 8" x 3 1/2" both with a Fiddes hardwax oil finish

woody

Re: Scrap Yew
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 05:53:05 PM »
Last photo

petjeffery

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 06:47:34 PM »
They look great your really good

woody

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 06:50:47 PM »
Very nice the second one looks like it has been coloured.

Regards George
Hi George I have taken a photo from further away and cropped it,
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:54:16 PM by woody »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 08:45:59 PM »
If i had to pick, I'd go for the first one (the platter/shallow dish) I really like it and the 'shakes' give is a unique character.

However, I'm still fascinated by the excessively white sapwood of the newer Yew that you've got hold of.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 08:55:16 PM »
If i had to pick, I'd go for the first one (the platter/shallow dish) I really like it and the 'shakes' give is a unique character.

However, I'm still fascinated by the excessively white sapwood of the newer Yew that you've got hold of.
Its from a tree that got blown down a few years ago in the grounds of a hunter lodge me and another turner had 1/2 each but I'm on the last of it now

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 07:23:23 PM »

Woody, the top one for me too, beautiful, as is yet another of the white sap wood, you sure found some nice timber, if your getting low on logs, has the other chap still get plenty left that you could get more off him ...   8) ..

Cheers            David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

woody

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 07:29:23 PM »

Woody, the top one for me too, beautiful, as is yet another of the white sap wood, you sure found some nice timber, if your getting low on logs, has the other chap still get plenty left that you could get more off him ...   8) ..

Cheers            David

Had some more logs drooped of the weekend spalted Silver birch logs that is still very stable an Apple burr and some spalted apple and believe it or not a privet stump but I could only get some pen blanks and some disk for clock inserts but the yew I only have 2 bits left

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 09:34:29 PM »

Cheers            David

Had some more logs drooped of the weekend spalted Silver birch logs that is still very stable an Apple burr and some spalted apple and believe it or not a privet stump but I could only get some pen blanks and some disk for clock inserts but the yew I only have 2 bits left

No chance then that your mate has any of his left.  It's good the SSB is still stable, I've found that it can be fine one minute and gone the next, then you don't keep things round for to long, no pun, as you turn ..   :o .. work out..

Cheers.
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 09:57:55 PM »

It's good the SSB is still stable, I've found that it can be fine one minute and gone the next

Hmmm... I better get my finger out then. I got hold of two lengths of Spalted Paper Birch last week. So far only worked half of one length.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 10:04:25 PM »
Im waiting for a new bandsaw blade to split one more log oh the SSB one lump of the wood I got Sat had a blooming great screw in it and I cut through the full length of it with a new blade I had just put on a few days before I'm sure you can all imagine what I said

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 06:14:04 PM »
Hi Woody Another great piece I love the grain and colours Well done Sorry you bu***rd your Band saw blade up would it help to check  with a material detector like you use to detect wiring or pipes in walls before drilling.Regards John
John Smith