Author Topic: today's effort  (Read 3188 times)

woody

today's effort
« on: October 13, 2012, 10:49:17 PM »
Yesterday a guy purchased 10 bowls for his shop and phoned me last night he has sold 5 of them and wants me to do some more for Mon so off I went the to my workshop this afternoon and made these first one is 8" x 1 3/4" Apricot life bowl and 2 nd is a Pr of Waney edge Sycamore bowls 7" x 2" they all have a polish finish

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: today's effort
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 07:10:38 AM »
Hmmm, that caught me out. I like fruit woods as they are normally have a very attractive grain. But the Apricot is a bit bland. Absolutely nothing wrong with the turning though. Has it lost something in the photography?

However the Sycamore looks fantastic, two consecutive pieces from the same board by the looks of things - yes?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 09:51:31 AM »
Apricot normally is very bland in fact this piece is quite a bit darker than most I've turned but it is as nice as other fruit woods to turn but as you know you never know what you are going to get till you start turning it I cut this bit a few years ago and was surprised when I found it in my wood pile whilst trying sorting out some small bits for this shop

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 12:10:58 PM »
Well done on the sale of the bowls Woody.

Like the pair of waney edged bowls,I`m a sucker for natural edged work & also like the Idea of paired bowls with such an edge.

Cheers.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 04:12:35 PM »

Woody,  well done, you never fail to amaze by the form and timbers you turn ( ;D) out, you're always a winner ...  proof ...  they always sell.

Cheers     David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 08:07:57 PM »
Well done Woody beautiful turning and nice woods you use.They seem to sell quickly Keep up the good work. Regards John 
John Smith

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 12:47:46 AM »
Congratulations Woody, turning your hobby into gold.... forgive the pun just coouldnt help myself  ;D

Seriously, well done!