Author Topic: Gallery photos  (Read 7796 times)

Offline Lionel Pringle

• iron
Gallery photos
« on: October 11, 2012, 10:29:24 AM »
Roger Groom has suggested to me that some of the pieces that are posted in the gallery deserve a wider audience and should be published in Revolutions. I have done this in the past but not for some while. I would be prepared to have a regular gallery page. So to begin with would members be happy for this to happen? I have checked a few of the current submissions and the quality of the photos is quite mixed, I would only be able to make use of good sharp images and would need the original, straight from the camera, to work with. This is of course subject to the Editors choice and all contributors need to be members of the AWGB.
Please post your thoughts and maybe, if there is sufficient space, I can make a start with the December issue.

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
Re: Gallery photos
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 12:08:28 PM »
Hi Lionel
I think that the problem is that the gallery will only accept low resolution pics. So once the pieces have been selected then maybe the member can send you high res pics direct..

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 01:33:02 PM »
Good idea - I'm all for it

Cheers Dave

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 03:56:43 PM »
Good idea - I agree with Rogers comments on piture quality.
Regards
Ken

Offline John

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 05:07:11 PM »
Hi
Yes I am in favour,
Must remember to save original before reducing the quality.
John
John English

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 06:18:07 PM »
Yes a good idea every photo I have posted I have reduced the Quality but I may have the Originals.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 06:24:54 PM »
Yep, sounds a very good idea, it's possible more hand round and read Revolutions than may do so on the Forum.

For me at this point in time it's more as too where the picture files are ...  ??? ...  WHY ...  can you never find them ..  >:( ..

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

GwilymF

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 08:49:12 PM »
Great idea, can anyone say what the ideal resolution for photos is .
Gwilym

Andy Coates

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 10:05:38 PM »
300dpi

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 07:33:12 AM »
I'm in for it. It might even get a few more AWGB members into this medium (well hopefully).

As for what resolution, as Lionel says he'd need the original camera file (whatever size that is and I'm assuming .jpg not .raw), and the the package used will reduce it to a printable dpi.

MS Word uses 200 dpi but desktop publishing software all vary to some extent.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 02:03:34 PM »
This is where I show what little I know!! What does 300DPI mean? when I upload any photographs to the forum Gallery I reduce these to
640X480 pixels is that not acceptable to print in Revolutions? Advice gladly accepted.Regards John :-[
John Smith

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 05:11:58 PM »
Hi John,

The programme you use to reduce the pic usualy has the DPI below the measurement size, usually the pic is 300 DPI to start and reduced down to 72 DPI for computer screens. 300 DPI is required for quality in printing.

Thats why my last pic was to small, I reduced the measurement and the DPI.

Cheers Martin
Martin Lawrence

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 07:48:16 PM »
I agree, good idea. I think the high resolution pidtures for printing could be transmitted via some sort of dropbox. Perhaps this could be set up through a link for submissions.

Offline Lionel Pringle

• iron
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 08:36:27 AM »
As a general rule of thumb, (unless you are a keen photographer and have adjusted the settings on your camera), for the man in the street the photograph usually comes off somewhere in the region of 3264 x 2448 at 72dpi. This is large enough for me to be able to manipulate it to the requirements for quality printing.  I'll be in touch directly with those of you whose photos I want to use to ensure that I have what I need. Thanks to all for your enthusiasm.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 03:22:11 PM »
Hi My camera is only a point and shoot type of digital camera the pictures come out at 2560 x 1920 pixels so I assume this is not good enough?

Regards John
John Smith