Author Topic: Ash R & B  (Read 4016 times)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Ash R & B
« on: October 09, 2012, 02:08:22 AM »

Ash bowl, the blank had been machined, but for an odd reason was ridged right across the center, with not wishing to loss any of this the resulting bowl was mounted by the flat sanded side on a 4" (102mm) glue chuck, shaping the whole bowl with this one mount, I only rolled the high points of the rim, the rest (lower rims) I blended in by hand, it's then the shouldn't have ...  ::) ...  taken to cut as seen whatever there idea had been, one of those moments ...  just have to have a re-work, given time.

Size;  11.25" x 3" on highest point x 2.5" lowest x 2.25" deep ( 310 x 76 x 64 x 57 mm ) as a finish it got 1 coat of Danish oil, pending the re-think...   :-\ .

C&C or Ideas.           David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: Ash R & B
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 10:59:47 AM »
Hi David,
           I'm sorry but I don't like this at all. To me it looks as if the walls are too thick and I'm not sure about the decoration around the edge, I think it makes it look like a 60's ash tray. Sorry to be so negative but it's not my cup of tea and the design does not seem to be up to your usual standard. I know how you feel when the track of an idea is lost along the way and if you don't try these things you will never know.Win some,lose some. I've got a shed full of losses.
Good quality turning though.
Regards
John
BHT

woody

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 11:27:03 AM »
Not sure about this one would it look better with a small groove at the bottom of the top decoration to give it a rope look  that said  the turning and finish is excellent

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 07:35:22 PM »

Yep, John it went wrong, 60's ash tray more than Ash bowl, it had been a nice piece of Ash ..   :( .  re-work it, sticking (as it had been) back on the chuck, by the time it's trued up some of the thickness in the wall could be removed and slight change in form, with that then it would take away the intended chucky look.

Woody the rope, if I'm not too wide or deep with the current xxxx up was an idea I was thinking about and would need carving given the undulation of the rim, then one other if I have formed even flutes or it took only a little correction it would be to size a dark wood with which to fill in the flute and blend in to the rim, it's a bit of how much the shape changes if re-worked as too which is best. Oh for the time.

Cheers        David

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 08:46:08 PM »
David,

I think it has mileage as one of Woodie's 'Life bowl's', the curved inner would make it easy to scoop out any contents.

I'm not sure about the base, the secondary curve (to the table) makes it look as bowed as the top rim, I half expect to see it rock.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 09:56:09 PM »

Bryan, So far I've not made much of a collection ...   :'( ... so much for a life bowl ...  :( ...

The curve came about as detail (worked as well as the flutes) and aid to reach under and pick the bowl up. should it ever get full ..    ;D ..

As considered I see the drawing board in the distant future.

Having had R & B the other Ash bowl posted work out so well the plan was for much the same in design, this one was to work with the undulating top surface, I went a bit stay with the plan.

Cheers     David

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 10:08:12 PM »

Hmmm, still to consider re-turn or burn ... 

woody

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 10:38:07 PM »
No dont burn it stick it back on the lathe it will make a nice dish

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 01:12:12 AM »

Yep Woody, at no time should we take to burn any piece, it's just to get that fresh idea or a run of them ...  ;D , maybe it's to scrap the wavy edge, Hmmm.

Will keep watching your pieces. 

Cheers  David

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 08:11:31 PM »
I like the wavy edge, if your going to do anything sand it back a bit and do it again at an angle, with a detail line beneath it, it should look like a rope twist on the top.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 09:22:16 PM »

Ya, the rope is the general idea as the way to take it with both of you and that I was thinking about.  It was the wave which draw me to the piece and not to lose it, it was the fool idea for the flute if that, which is the bxxxs up.  there's more than enough thickness to play with, it's the case at the moment now to time, well one for ren, later ....

Cheers  David

woody

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 09:50:12 PM »
I'm pleased your going to give it another go Dave it is worth saving