Author Topic: Wanted beginners wood lathe & accessories  (Read 699 times)

Offline Octopuscoffee

• iron
Wanted beginners wood lathe & accessories
« on: February 09, 2023, 06:21:14 PM »
I'm just getting into wood turning and looking at buying a small lathe and accessories. I'm not looking to spend a huge fortune initially but if you have anything lying around that would suit someone looking to get started please let me know as I'll consider anything . I don't drive so ideally I'd be looking at postage/courier collection. Feel free to message me, I'm happy to have a chat. Thanks Steve
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 11:52:31 AM by Octopuscoffee »

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Wanted beginners wood lathe & accessories
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 08:01:28 PM »
I would suggest that you tell us what part of the country you are in.
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Octopuscoffee

• iron
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 09:12:14 PM »
I'm in South Scotland

Offline John Peachey

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 10:50:03 PM »
I'm just getting into wood turning and looking at buying a small lathe and accessories. I'm not looking to spend a huge fortune initially but if you have anything lying around that would suit someone looking to get started please let me know as I'll consider anything . I don't drive so ideally I'd be looking at postage/courier collection. Feel free to message me, I'm happy to have a chat. Thanks Steve

Hi Steve,
Could I suggest you have a look at the Axminster site, and see what their basic lathes are like something like the AW205WL. not to buy but it will give you an idea of what to look for. Record Power also have some decent small lathes, but I've never had or used one. I had a little Axminster for years before getting a bigger machine.
Avoid the stuff you can get from Machine mart - Clarke type machines, as they can be problamatic and will spoil your initial enthusiasm.

Besides the lathe you will also need face protection a full face visor is preferable and a dust mask something like an 'elipse half mask', a set of tools, and a sharpening device. A cheap grinder with grey wheels is not the best. You would almost certainly want a white wheel for tools.

Also have a look at the AWGB club map and see if there is anything close to you, as a chat with members can give you a big leg up.

Just a few pointers.
John

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2023, 08:36:26 AM »
I would join a club first. Are any of these within travelling distance?

Offline Octopuscoffee

• iron
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2023, 09:14:20 AM »

Hi Steve,
Could I suggest you have a look at the Axminster site, and see what their basic lathes are like something like the AW205WL. not to buy but it will give you an idea of what to look for. Record Power also have some decent small lathes, but I've never had or used one. I had a little Axminster for years before getting a bigger machine.
Avoid the stuff you can get from Machine mart - Clarke type machines, as they can be problamatic and will spoil your initial enthusiasm.

Besides the lathe you will also need face protection a full face visor is preferable and a dust mask something like an 'elipse half mask', a set of tools, and a sharpening device. A cheap grinder with grey wheels is not the best. You would almost certainly want a white wheel for tools.

Also have a look at the AWGB club map and see if there is anything close to you, as a chat with members can give you a big leg up.

Just a few pointers.
John

Thanks John. I appreciate all the advice. I had looked at the Axminster mini lathe, and a couple of records and they appear to have good reviews and a good reputation. Thanks for the advice. Steve

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 03:08:41 PM »
Have a look on Facebook market place or Gumtree , lots of used lathes for sale.