Author Topic: Lathe Speed Control Problem  (Read 1111 times)

Offline JLWT

• iron
Lathe Speed Control Problem
« on: January 20, 2023, 05:16:38 PM »
Hi there. I'm new to this forum and hoping for some friendly advice, please.

I have a Silverdrive Statesman Woodturning lathe (I was told when I bought it second-hand 10 years ago that it was the machine used and reviewed by Mike Swain back in the mists of time). It’s direct drive with a massive 3-phase motor running off a 13 amp plug via a VFD (think that’s what it’s called) controlled by a little control box with a potentiometer, small circuit board and read-out, all running off a 13 amp plug on a normal domestic circuit - like the Poolewood Euro lathes (I understand Silverdrive made for Poolewood and there was a big falling out way back - have tried contacting but both companies no longer in business). It’s been a great machine, very smooth running and no matter what I’ve done with it it hasn’t skipped a beat and the highly powerful motor purrs along hardly breaking into a sweat.

But just recently it will no longer run in reverse and now the speed is “wandering” down and back up to the speed set via the potentiometer on the control box. Anyone got any thoughts on the problem here. There’s not a lot of options - motor, control box/pot, VFD. Or does anyone know the right person to come and diagnose/fix the problem - I’m in Sevenoaks, Kent - I’ve searched the net but not sure what sort of person I’m looking for given the mix of electronics and motor.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Lathe Speed Control Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 07:34:18 PM »
If it were my lathe, the first things I would check would be the speed potentiometer and the forward/reverse swicth. Both are possibly prone to dust ingress causing bad connections that could cause the symptoms you describe.

Offline JLWT

• iron
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 06:02:22 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, Paul. I gave it a go this afternoon - there wasn't very much dust inside the control box as its screwed up tight, but I blew it out anyway and....I now have reverse restored and the motor looks to be spinning consistently now rather than wandering too and fro as it was doing previously. I haven't turned anything on it yet, but no reason to think it is not fixed as it was wandering irrespective of load. Thanks for your help. Regards. John

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 07:14:12 PM »
I'm glad it turned out to be a simple fix

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 10:00:46 AM »
You could give it a go with some switch / contact cleaner , It comes in a spray can , Just follow the instructions.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2023, 09:38:15 AM »
I have a Poolewood lathe, my speed controller wore out, the plastic covering the touch buttons got old and cracked. I found they were still available to buy at around £20., sorted it out.

Having said that, I have noticed that Poolewoods use several different speed controllers over the years they were in production.

If your problem persists, I would recommend looking up a Motor Rewinding company locally, and having a word with them.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!