Author Topic: Wanted Magma Titan 400 lathe****ACQUIRED****  (Read 988 times)

Offline Finchley_turner

• iron
Wanted Magma Titan 400 lathe****ACQUIRED****
« on: December 20, 2022, 07:18:52 PM »
I am looking to buy a used Magma Titan 400 lathe. If you know someone who wants to sell it I would be happy to discuss. Thanks
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 12:05:57 AM by Finchley_turner »

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Wanted Magma Titan 400 lathe
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 07:55:28 PM »
You might want to try the address below -

Santa
123 Elf Road
 North Pole

;D

Offline Redwill

• iron
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2022, 08:38:52 AM »
  Good luck in your quest,   they are as Rare as Hens Teeth  in my opinion the best Lathe I have seen and had the pleasure of a small turning session on.
I have only ever seen one used Magma for sale and that was the smaller version.    Have you tried calling Classic Hand Tools  they were importing them but unsure if still the Case.  Its a long shot but they might have been contacted by someone who bought thro them and is looking to sell driven by energy price increases and the such like.

Being not so far from them  I did in the past view the Magma range at their premises and had a long Chat with Mark Hancock who demonstrated for Magma. My plan to have one fell thro as at the time I could not find a buyer for my Vicmarc.  I dread to think what the price would be for a new one what with the effects of inflation etc that we all know about.   Have a feeling that is another of my plans that will never happen.

Offline Finchley_turner

• iron
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 09:55:46 AM »
Yes, I am fully aware that owners of MTitan belong to the exclusive club. One of our North
London club members has one so I have an access to the machine to try it.
Even for a second hand machine one would need to carefully plan how to finance the purchase. Anyway, I am trying my luck while watching a machine of another make elsewhere.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 10:39:46 AM by Finchley_turner »

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 10:16:54 AM »
At my time in life I could sell mine , However it would need to be £6K with a full set of tool rest's
Working 100%
If you want I can PM you my phone number.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2022, 01:05:03 PM »
New ones are on offer at the moment.  Only £5,320!  >:(

« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 01:08:19 PM by Bill21 »

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 02:09:45 PM »
Is that Imported into the UK with all tax / shipping fees and 20% UK vat on top ?

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 02:17:35 PM »
The GUSS model shown is cast iron, and much cheaper than the steel fabricated model that Woodspinner is offering, in part due to the use of generic Taiwanese electrics. Nothing wrong with that, but some would prefer the European electrics on the steel model.
Duncan
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 07:24:47 PM by Duncan A »

Offline Finchley_turner

• iron
Re: Wanted Magma Titan 400 lathe****ACQUIRED****
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2023, 12:04:12 AM »
After 1 month in storage I finally assembled, levelled and bolted down my Magma Titan 400

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2023, 01:42:17 PM »
The GUSS model shown is cast iron, and much cheaper than the steel fabricated model that Woodspinner is offering, in part due to the use of generic Taiwanese electrics. Nothing wrong with that, but some would prefer the European electrics on the steel model.
Duncan

That’s an interesting comment. As far as I’m aware, cast iron has always been regarded as the premier material for machine tools for its rigidity and vibration absorption. I suppose this is why the majority are made of it. For a machine that doesn’t need high precision though like a wood turning lathe then a welded steel fabrication is good enough.

I used to wonder why a small number of manufacturers used fabrication for wood lathes and it’s probably down to vertical integration. Welding up steel parts in house as required is likely cheaper than ordering large numbers of complete lathe beds and heads from a foundry?

I’m guessing Taiwanese lathes are cast, machined and assembled by one company to reduce costs.

As for electrics many high quality parts are made in the Far East. Mitsubishi are regarded as manufacturers of some of the best inverters on the market and they are made in Thailand.  ;)