Author Topic: Turned boxes  (Read 892 times)

Offline Phil Fouracre

• iron
Turned boxes
« on: March 01, 2022, 07:08:00 PM »
Hi all!
Just found this forum while trying to find the answer to a problem I’ve run into, and signed up immediately👌
To introduce myself, I’ve just set myself up with a small lathe and assorted tools, increasing in number all the time!
It’s something I’ve wanted to do for years, and the pandemic has been the perfect ‘excuse’ - trying out as many techniques as I can, with the help of the internet.
I’ve now found a ‘problem’ that I’m not sure about - I’ve been turning everything that I can think of, and am now working on small jewellery boxes in various woods. The ‘fun bit’ has been achieving a nice snug lid fit, that ‘pops’!
How do I make allowances for the wood changing once it has been turned? I have now had a couple that I thought I had got just right with lovely snug lids - left overnight and they were both loose🙈
Should I cut them roughly, and leave them to acclimatise, and then finish?
Any thoughts would be great
Thx

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: Turned boxes
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 07:23:52 PM »
I rough turn my box blanks and leave them in the house for at least 3 weeks, this does help reduce the problem you are having but does not guarantee it will not happen. I tend not to make pop fits as people like to lift the lid one handed so a nice sliding fit that does not rattle about is ideal.

Offline Phil Fouracre

• iron
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 08:10:23 PM »
Derek - many thanks for prompt help and advice👌
Fine tuning obviously needed! Have tried ‘looser’ fits, but was experimenting, to see how far I could go, also seeing how thin I could make the boxes, and thought perhaps I’d gone too far and the wood wasn’t liking it!
Will do as you suggest.

Online Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 09:49:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Aside from acclimating does this help?

https://youtu.be/jIt-JxRKIWw

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 11:28:35 PM »
1st question: what wood are you using. 2nd question what sort of fit do you want sloppy, push or suction fit. Bottom line what you describe seems top be a suction fit which would need a well dried wood that doesn't move and there aren't many of those around. Best person to look to for advice is probably George Watkins (from the tree) who makes exquisite boxes from all sorts of woods.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Phil Fouracre

• iron
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 09:37:08 AM »
More really helpful advice! I’m really glad I found this forum. Bill21, just watched the vid - perfect, thanks.
Bodrighywood - I’ve been trying all sorts, trying to learn a lifetime of skills in a short time is not easy🙈 I’m really trying to find my, and the woods limitations - so a lot of experimentation.
Many thanks to everyone for being so helpful