Author Topic: Grain Filler  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Grain Filler
« on: January 27, 2022, 01:52:18 PM »
Anyone used Black grain filler on Ash? Normally I’d seal the wood first then apply but I recently saw a video of Snooker Cues being made and it was applied directly to the bare wood. The affect was extremely good.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Grain Filler
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 05:57:49 PM »
Yes, I've done it before with black wax and with acrylic paint. Both work

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 10:12:25 PM »
Did you use a sealer first?

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 09:37:02 AM »
Did you use a sealer first?

As a general rule don't use sealer for dye or products that need to soak  into the wood, e.g. oils. Do use sealer for paint or other products that coat the wood e.g. wax.

Obviously generally general rules are for breaking  ;)
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 10:31:00 PM »
Yes use a sealer before applying the grain filler.

Offline Wooddust

• copper
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 07:49:35 AM »
Paul a bit confused your two posts on this subject appear to contradict each other.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 02:51:48 PM »
Paul a bit confused your two posts on this subject appear to contradict each other.

No they don't paint or wax require sanding sealer as they sit on top of the wood, stain and oil are the ones that soak in so don't want sanding sealer

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 05:41:43 PM »
That depends on the paint - some don't need a sanding sealer but where grain fills are concerned, yes, the surface of the wood should be sealed prior to applying the grain filler (whether that's wax, paint or whatever).

Offline Wooddust

• copper
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2022, 05:09:35 PM »
OK I am more confused now ???

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 12:41:41 AM »
Look at it this way - if you are applying a grain filler whether it's wax, paint or anything else the objective is to colour the pores in the wood but not the rest of the surface so you would use a sealer which would allow the excess filler to be removed from the surface without colouring it

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 11:07:01 AM »
Look at it this way - if you are applying a grain filler whether it's wax, paint or anything else the objective is to colour the pores in the wood but not the rest of the surface so you would use a sealer which would allow the excess filler to be removed from the surface without colouring it

This is the “normal” approach. I started this thread though because in a video I saw recently Black grain filler was applied directly to bare wood. The effect seemed much better than usual. I suspect because using sealer first actually fills some of the grain before the filler can get in. Wiping off the excess filler didn’t seem to cause any problems and I couldn’t see any “staining”, just nicely filled pores.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 11:18:31 AM »

This is the “normal” approach. I started this thread though because in a video I saw recently Black grain filler was applied directly to bare wood. The effect seemed much better than usual. I suspect because using sealer first actually fills some of the grain before the filler can get in. Wiping off the excess filler didn’t seem to cause any problems and I couldn’t see any “staining”, just nicely filled pores.

As I said above "Obviously generally, general rules are for breaking"

It will depend on many factors what wood? What humidity is the workshop? How does that compare to the moisture level in the blank? What was the sanding level? Was it burnished?

One of the nice things with working with an organic medium is experimentation is constant. 

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2022, 01:12:40 PM »
Ash, seasoned.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2022, 06:33:27 PM »
Before starting you have to remember to take Paul's law into account -

The complexity of any process is proportional to the cube of the number of people involved in defining the process

;D