Author Topic: spindle adapter M33 x 3.5mm to 1" 10tpi  (Read 2674 times)

Offline Badgerboy

• iron
spindle adapter M33 x 3.5mm to 1" 10tpi
« on: November 14, 2021, 10:54:05 AM »
Hi all. I'm new to turning and just setting up a small workshop. I just bought a SC3 chuck that I cant fine an adapter for (spindle adapter M33 x 3.5mm to 1" 10tpi). Has anyone got any ideas as to where I can find one. I rang Record and they say they have never mad on with a 1" 10tpi but if it's a ripoff it's a good one.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: spindle adapter M33 x 3.5mm to 1" 10tpi
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 11:21:54 AM »
I’m not sure how long the SC3 has been around but all the later ones are clearly marked Record Power. There are however lots of  very similar looking chucks around at the moment. 1” x 10 tpi is not a thread I’ve seen mentioned on a lathe very much. I think a couple of the old British lathes had this thread? If so there won’t be much call for it.

Good luck with your quest and do let us know how you get on, it may help others.

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 11:50:15 AM »
Does this fit the bill? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N6F1LNA?ie=UTF8&*entries*=0&viewID=&*Version*=1
"Headstock thread adaptor.
To fit onto a lathe with 1" x 10tpi headstock thread.
To mount a scroll chuck (or face plate) with M33 x 3.5mm thread."
???
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 11:58:03 AM by Tim Pettigrew »

Offline Badgerboy

• iron
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 12:52:03 PM »
Thanks for the replies
The chuck dose have the Markings on it but Record says it's not theirs and although it was new in the right case I don't know how old it is. The trouble is i bought it on eBay in July and then went in for a hip replacement and only just got back to it.   
The link to Amazon is the opposite to what I need. The headstock is m33 the chuck is 1"

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 01:52:07 PM »
Are you sure it’s a 1” x 10 tpi thread and not the much more common 1” x 8 tpi?

Edit: Looking on eBay that chuck still seems to be available.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 01:57:21 PM by Bill21 »

Offline Badgerboy

• iron
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 05:42:20 PM »
That's what I thought it was and got the adapter with 8tpi but wouldn't fit. has now been checked with a thread gauge and it's 10tpi

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 10:10:15 AM »
Was the chuck originally a 3/4" X 16 thread and someone had it machined to suit their lathe hence the reason record said they never made a chuck with that thread.

Offline Badgerboy

• iron
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 01:41:48 PM »
The chuck is brand new never used. According to Record it must be a ripoff. With their name and number stamped on the body of it I doubt it.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 03:39:37 PM »
I must admit I’m not a fan of adapters as it increases the distance from the work to the lathe bearings further than intended. Having said that, turning small items with light cuts shouldn’t present a problem. Another issue though is how well the adapter is made and are both threads perfectly concentric. Any decent machinist would be able to make one, at a cost. How good it may be is another matter.

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2021, 04:55:02 PM »
I realise this won't help the original poster but I find this quite concerning since I recommend Record Power's chucks as a good option.

If Record say they have never made an SC3, their dedicated thread type chuck, then what is the source of the seller of the OP's chuck? I think Record will know what they have and haven't manufactured, in which case this item is fraudulent and the original poster would be entitled to a refund, based on UK law and also Ebay/Paypal's rules for sellers.

I also wonder if anyone else has bought one of these chucks. i.e. owners of lathes with 1"x10 headstock threads. Union Jubilee springs to mind.

It is a shame that the original poster didn't purchase a chuck with the correct thread to start with. That would have removed the need for an adaptor, with the inherent problems of shortened bed length and possible misalignment.

I will be watching this thread with interest.
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2021, 11:23:30 PM »

Hi Badgerboy
I feel for you in what seems to be an unrecoverable situation.  I would like to see some images of the chuck you purchased, as it seems such an unbelievable fraud to have experienced...  Would you be prepared to post some?

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2021, 01:42:34 PM »
Hi all. I'm new to turning and just setting up a small workshop. I just bought a SC3 chuck that I cant fine an adapter for (spindle adapter M33 x 3.5mm to 1" 10tpi). Has anyone got any ideas as to where I can find one. I rang Record and they say they have never mad on with a 1" 10tpi but if it's a ripoff it's a good one.

Can I just clarify,

1 What is the spindle thread on your lathe? (and what lathe is it)
2 What is the thread in the chuck you have bought?
3 Normally Record Power chucks come with an insert there is a small hole between the chuck key points that gives access to a grub screw.

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2021, 04:43:01 PM »
Can I just clarify,

1 What is the spindle thread on your lathe? (and what lathe is it)
2 What is the thread in the chuck you have bought?
3 Normally Record Power chucks come with an insert there is a small hole between the chuck key points that gives access to a grub screw.

The headstock is m33 the chuck is 1"

The RP SC4 I had a few years back did indeed have a threaded insert.
As far as I’m aware the SC3 is direct threaded in one of three sizes.
Certainly the SC2 I bought a while is direct threaded.

Offline Badgerboy

• iron
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2021, 05:57:53 PM »
My lathe is a Record power DML320. Head stock thread is m33x 3.5mm. I might add that I'm a newbee to lathes and had not researched it enough before buying the chuck. I have now found out that the original add I bought it from said it was for a Jubilee so I take it that it only fit that lathe. I'm very surprised that when I phoned Record they said they had never made a chuck with a 1"x10tpi when it seems they have. So if anyone wants a brand new SC3 with a 1"x 10tpi I have one going cheap. Thank you all for your comments it made me stop felling sorry for myself and look into it more. Cheers.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2021, 06:21:35 PM »
I don't know the Record Power chucks well, only generically. But before selling do look to see if it is an insert type or direct thread. If Record Power didn't make that thread and it is an insert they can be bought as blanks and machined to any thread, this would make all your info. correct :-)

But more importantly if it is an insert, you can swap the insert for a M33 x 3.5, I know this is the case with SC1 and SC4 but don't know about the SC3, the clue is a small hole with a grub screw in the side of the body.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)