Author Topic: Bench grinders  (Read 2234 times)

Offline V8-108

• iron
Bench grinders
« on: August 03, 2021, 11:10:36 PM »
Looking to replace my bench grinder which will mainly be used for sharpening my turning tools. Looking at the Record Power RSBG6 or the Axminster AC150WSG which appear to be pitched against each other with little difference in price.....I have sharpening jigs to use on them....what are peoples thoughts on these two grinders, is one better than the other or is it just personal choice? Opinions welcome please.

Neil

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: Bench grinders
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 06:12:41 AM »
If you only use the grinder for lathe tools you should consider a slow speed grinder ,
High speed grinders overheat the cutting edge quickly

Online Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 10:03:51 AM »
If you only use the grinder for lathe tools you should consider a slow speed grinder ,
High speed grinders overheat the cutting edge quickly

That’s only really an issue on old high carbon steel tools. I’ve read you can get HSS tools to turn blue and it won’t affect the hardness, just don’t quench it in cold water or it can cause micro cracks.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 05:51:26 PM »
OK good luck with that then  :D

Online Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 10:06:55 PM »
“You really can’t overheat HSS doing this”

https://blondihacks.com/lathe-grinding-tool-bits/

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 10:36:25 PM »
i agree with Bill about overheating tools and not quenching HSS but still use a slow speed grinder with wide wheels.
Brian

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 10:48:44 PM »
If buying a grinder then go slow speed, it makes sense. But the difference is massive, 300° is hot enough to damage Carbon Steel, it takes 2200° to do the same to HSS, so possible but unlikely.

Whatever you buy be sure that it can be upgraded to CBN down the line, it makes sense
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 10:50:20 PM »
Problem is slow griders are a lot more expensive than standard bench grinders generally. I got hold of an old tormek which is supposedly the bees knees but still use my basic bench grider much of the time. Like so many things there re a lot of myths and legends around sharpening but basic practice os far more important IMHO than spending a fortune on the various types that abound.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 11:24:03 PM »
Problem is slow griders are a lot more expensive than standard bench grinders generally. I got hold of an old tormek which is supposedly the bees knees but still use my basic bench grider much of the time. Like so many things there re a lot of myths and legends around sharpening but basic practice os far more important IMHO than spending a fortune on the various types that abound.

Pete

I had the Tormek T7, needed my record power 8" normal speed grinder as a back up (which replaced my 6" "own brand" cheap system I used for the first few years) . Have sold both now and moved sideways to the ProEdge not so sharp, and not so good for general everything sharpening, but always ready to use and does a good job on woodturning tools

Online Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2021, 11:13:26 AM »
I sharpen my wood turning tools on a Belt & Disc sander and find it quick and easy and I much prefer the flat grind. Except of course the extra large bowl scraper I bought, that’s still a chore to sharpen!  :D

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2021, 04:31:12 PM »
I completely agree with Bill's comments about overheating tools and that it is almost impossible to damage HSS but one of the key reasons for overheating is not the speed of the grinder, it is the failure of the user to keep the stones clean.

One comment I will make regarding the original posting is to get a grinder with wheels suitable for turning tools, NOT the grey carborundum fitted to many.

I would also recommend a sharpening jig that will accomodate all your tools AND the grinds that you want to use. Too many jigs can't cope with larger tools or long grinds, especially when tools have been used and are shorter in length.
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Online Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2021, 06:50:13 PM »
I would also recommend a sharpening jig that will accomodate all your tools AND the grinds that you want to use. Too many jigs can't cope with larger tools or long grinds, especially when tools have been used and are shorter in length.

Yes I agree with that. Some jigs aren’t very well designed. Once a spindle gouge gets a bit short some jigs aren’t much use unless you grind a flat along the top!

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2021, 01:44:16 AM »
Yes I agree with that. Some jigs aren’t very well designed. Once a spindle gouge gets a bit short some jigs aren’t much use unless you grind a flat along the top!

On the plus side, it is when the tools are worn down beyond jig use you get to play with all the weird and wonderful (usually weird) profiles you read about but didn't want to try on your working tools.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2021, 08:22:26 AM »
I think it is the manufacturers of slow speed grinders that tell you that slow spedd grinders are the essential sharpening tool, but then they would wouldn't they?
Have a look at my youtube channel, thebowlerhattedturner, and you will see half a dozen videos of my sharpening system in use. No need for all these expensive gimmicky grinders. Learn how to use a bench grinder correctly and save yourself a fortune.

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2021, 12:28:40 PM »