Author Topic: SAFETY WARNING FROM RECORD  (Read 2543 times)

Offline julcle

• platinum
Re: SAFETY WARNING FROM RECORD
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 07:14:24 PM »
I had an e-mail from Record about 10 minutes ago Pete. This was received at 7:00pm.  --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 07:28:34 PM »
I have recently bought a Coronet Herald, i assume from reading this that itdoes not affect the Herals.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 07:06:20 PM »
The Herald is not mentioned so I presume not. I would guess that the headstock fastening camlock is a different mechanism.  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 07:41:41 PM »

Wow That could be extremely dangerous I often wonder about all of the Machinery made in the East do they go through all of the safety tests parts like this should go through the most rigours of tests even to destruction.

Regards John   
John Smith

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 10:57:36 PM »
Good on Record Power for jumping on it so hard and explaining the immediate measures they're taking.
This would be expected of any reputable company but it's unfortunately not always true, and communication is not always good.
Duncan

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 06:09:57 AM »
Oh dear , My opinion as allways is  " Designed by accountants and built on a budget "

I would not own a far east lathe ,

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 11:09:34 PM »
Oh dear , My opinion as allways is  " Designed by accountants and built on a budget "

If it is < 15 years old you probably do! even older lathes the repair components are sourced from cheapest option, welcome to globalisation  :(

A friend has taken his apart and indeed the weld was abysmal and starting to crack, with permission from Record Power he has had it properly welded so can now use his lathe again.  (nobody should do this without clearance from Record Power)

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 11:23:58 PM »
I bought a Taiwanese built Axminster AT1416VS some years ago and I’ve had no trouble with it. It seems there are loads of them about and are popular with demonstrators. I’ve seen them in four different colours depending on the vendor.  ;)

Offline John Peachey

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2021, 05:41:18 PM »
Certainly don't think that all stuff made in the East is rubbish. I also have an Axminster (AT1628VS) and it is incredibly well made, and been going without problems for 5/6 years now.

I do look at some of the other brands and wonder though, although Record I have always thought looked reasonable. I suppose it is quite easy for a duff batch of components to slip through, when making large numbers of machines. Good on Power though for getting on top of it quickly.
John

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2021, 09:48:09 PM »
my Jet 3520B was made in china and is still going after 11-12 years.

the main NVR switch needs replacing as it seems to have worn out (took a decade) but i just use the panic button to turn it on and off.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2021, 11:08:47 AM »
One of the pieces of modern technology that has never impressed me are membrane switches and I’ve noticed that a couple of lathes are now manufactured with these. The simple stop/start, reverse switches and speed control on my lathe would be easy to replace with cheap off the shelf parts should any of them fail. Not so with a membrane switch panel.

Offline Wooddust

• copper
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2021, 02:43:38 PM »

I would suggest that a lot of us on this forum do own "far eastern" lathes (although not all may be aware that they are) Are they all going to fail?

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2021, 06:41:51 PM »
Sorry , I can't see where I said they were all going to fail ?

Just my opinion and I will stick by it  ;)

Offline michaelb

• bronze
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2021, 04:46:46 PM »
While this post was about Record we have ended up posting about China and the far east I would say 99.99% of us are using a device made in China, or the far east why can't a lathe be made in  that part of the world without knocking it . We are seeing products "designed in the uk made in China" It up to the designers etc to ensure specifications are met .
No pockets in shrouds spend it now