Author Topic: Bowl  (Read 6828 times)

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Bowl
« on: July 01, 2012, 10:46:55 PM »
Here is a bowl I turned following a tutorial by George Fowraker. The wood was Sycamore 8"x 1.5"
The colouring was done using JoSonja's Iridescent paints.I hope you like this comments welcome.Regards John. link below to George's web site.

www.artistry-in-wood.co.uk
John Smith

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Bowl
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 09:54:38 AM »
It must be catching - I also did one over the weekend but not yet finished enough to post a picture.

I like the effects you've created there and it looks like the Sycamore has some wonderful grain pattern as well.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 10:38:13 AM »
Hi John,

Very nice bowls, but wish the pictures were bigger lol.

Cheers Martin
Martin Lawrence

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 12:05:13 PM »
Hi Martin

Try clicking on the jpg reference under the picture and "open".

Tony Malin

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 01:52:06 PM »
I do believe that was an ounce of self directed sarcasm – refer to Martins post where the pic’s are (eh) Huge!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 02:50:05 PM »
I have to be honest I have never bean a love of this sort of thing I don't know why because the paint effect does look very nice in fact it is beautiful it must be me a strange ol man so yes I'm now converted they look great I may even have a go at it myself one day if I dare

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 05:20:42 PM »
Hi John.
These are great pics John. Sycamore can be a very bland wood, but when Crotch, Flame or Ripple appear it brings the wood to life. Like Woody I am not a great lover of this technique, but that does not distract from the really good work. Well done you.
Roger G

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 06:23:34 PM »
Thank you everyone for taking the time to comment your replies are appreciated. I do not do much colouring of wood myself but I felt like a change also I think George had taken a lot of time out of his busy schedule earning a living to this Tutorial and I know he appreciates people having a go.

Roger I was surprised at the the Flame/Ripple when it appeared when turning the bottom I chose Sycamore because I thought it maybe bland.

Martin I loved your comment because when I posted the pictures on the forum they came out HUGE ;D I had forgotten how to do the reduction
I uploaded these 3 times and 3 times I deleted the post it took me 2 hours to figure it out (Senior Moment)

Tony thanks for trying to help Martin. dr4g0nfly got it right I had previously asked Martin to reduce the size of his pictures so I dare not have posted these.LOL

dr4g0nfly, I look forward to seeing yours when it is finished.

Woody, I look forward to yours if you get round to it.

Once again thanks for you comments.
                                                     Regards John
John Smith

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 06:36:17 PM »
Missed this out earlier when I reversed turned the Bowl I put some grease proof paper between the router mat and the painted top in case it was not quite dry.Regards John
John Smith

pennardesign

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 10:04:57 PM »
I have a load of Sycamore up to 4" thick and 2' wide (Alaskan Mill) - I love the look of this bowl I should try and colour some of the pieces I turn.

Frans Brown

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 05:07:46 PM »
This is a good looking bowl. You certainly have mastered the speed, viscosity and application, all of which can go wrong.
Georges great tutorial has done you proud as your lovely piece testifies. Hats off to both you and George .

Frans

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 09:42:19 PM »
Thank you Frans & Pennarddesign for your comments The Gold paint I did thin down a bit to much at first and I spun this at about 500rpm.
 what is Alaskan Mill.Regards John
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 01:33:37 AM »

Alick to Alaskan Mill ...  http://www.alaskanmill.co.uk/ .....  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSzAMCj22PU ...  hope it is of help.

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 06:00:11 PM »
David thank you I am a little wiser now.Regards John
John Smith

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 07:08:38 PM »

Alick to Alaskan Mill ...  http://www.alaskanmill.co.uk/ .....  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSzAMCj22PU ...  hope it is of help.

David

i have one of these and they are not cheap or easy to use you really need to be young and strong and have access to lifting equipment