Author Topic: Clubs restarting #2  (Read 2373 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Clubs restarting #2
« on: July 21, 2021, 04:16:37 PM »
As clubs start to re-open many of them, my own included will be changing the way some things are done. Some of this will be down to budget changes and others to make the club more enjoyable (if that is possible) than it was before lockdown.
So my question is on average how many demonstrations do your clubs book with an outside demonstrator, how many from an inhouse demonstrator and how many hands on nights do you have? Also I would be interested in what other activities (turning related) your club holds.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: Clubs restarting #2
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 11:46:28 AM »
We have one or two pro demonstrations a year, normally at a weekend, and about eight or nine from one of our club demonstrators. We often have a workshop night with three folks demonstrating something or other and members can move between the three as they please.

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 01:22:11 PM »
Thanks for your reply Bill.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 02:52:20 PM »
I’m going to beg the question when we restart as to whether it would be possible to have an overseas demonstrator entertain and educate us using Zoom. We have a large screen and projector and I’m sure someone has a laptop. I’m just not sure what the WiFi situation is like though at our venue.

Offline John Peachey

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 03:58:26 PM »
Hi,

Our club has on average 10 demonstrators per year two which are an evening followed by a day session.
January is our hands on month, and Feb is most likely when we have an in house demonstrator.
December is more of a social event, but has a fun based turning competition.

John

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 04:06:18 PM »
I’m going to beg the question when we restart as to whether it would be possible to have an overseas demonstrator entertain and educate us using Zoom. We have a large screen and projector and I’m sure someone has a laptop. I’m just not sure what the WiFi situation is like though at our venue.

You can always connect the laptop to a smartphone hotspot for the duration of the demo, hopefully one of your members will have a suitable data package. Providing you have mobile phone 4G coverage at your club location the Zoom call will work fine. Alternatively if the club can afford it look at a MIFi box and sim specifically for this purpose.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 05:10:31 PM »
You can always connect the laptop to a smartphone hotspot for the duration of the demo, hopefully one of your members will have a suitable data package. Providing you have mobile phone 4G coverage at your club location the Zoom call will work fine. Alternatively if the club can afford it look at a MIFi box and sim specifically for this purpose.

I did think of the mobile aspect, hopefully someone on the committee has a contract. I’m on PAYG as I’m sure quite a few are. I’ll look into the mobile router idea though, thanks.  ;)

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 07:24:59 PM »
For some reason our day sessions didn't take off. We have 2 professionals in my club and we both offer 2 demos a year, 1 free and one paid for, which I think is quite acceptable. So that accounts for 4 meetings, add in the AGM and Christmas and we have covered half the year with only 6 months to find. I think at least 2 hands on nights are a must so all we have to do is pay for 4 other demonstrators.
The plus side of the pandemic are the advent of live remote demonstrations ( I used to be dead set against the idea but since lockdown I have come to realise how valueable they are and indeed I am set up to deliver them myself too now) So we could have 2 in hall demos and 2 LRD's. That seems to be the year sorted, now watch it all go to pot.
Thanks for your input on this. John Peachey it would be good to hear what your fun based cometitions are.

Offline John Peachey

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 09:08:03 PM »
Hi the last two that I can remember are

Marble run. A marble is released into a funnel the winner being the longest time taken for the marble to escape the funnel.

The other one, was a woody woodpecker thing, where a small sprung woodpecker slides down a thin column. Can't remember whether that was fastest or slowest was the winner. Hope that makes sense!

Our whole day demos have in general been well supported, with the chance for members to natter to the demonstrator over lunch. Hope we can return to those next year.
John

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2021, 12:30:25 AM »
We usually have 7 demos from external demonstrators, 3 from club members and one workshop visit evening plus an AGM/social.

We may substitute one of the demos for a hands on evening.

We sometimes bring in a non-woodturning demonstrator. In the past we have had pole lathe turning, spoon carving, ukelele making, marquetry, stick making, chair making and a few others.

We also occasionally do all day events with a barbecue or similar.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2021, 04:03:32 PM »
We had a day trip to Axminster Tools HQ for a limited number of members a couple of years back, thoroughly recommended.

Offline michaelb

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2021, 06:02:56 PM »
In the past 3 to 4 full day dems with a profesional demonstrator, we will probaly go to 2 plus 3or 4 remote demos ( no travel expences  and wider choice) to our club from eith UK, Ireland or America . We will also be having unpaid demonstration from senior members and AWGB tutors we have in the club . Corvid has made us re think the way we do things and was the kick up the pants we needed.
No pockets in shrouds spend it now

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2021, 06:14:31 PM »
In the past 3 to 4 full day dems with a profesional demonstrator, we will probaly go to 2 plus 3or 4 remote demos ( no travel expences  and wider choice) to our club from eith UK, Ireland or America . We will also be having unpaid demonstration from senior members and AWGB tutors we have in the club . Corvid has made us re think the way we do things and was the kick up the pants we needed.

What is it you don’t like about them?  ;D

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2021, 09:48:19 AM »
Stone the crows, what the rook are you raven about birds for, Bill????????

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2021, 12:42:18 PM »
Stone the crows, what the rook are you raven about birds for, Bill????????

Didn’t you see Michael’s post I quoted?! I highlighted his comment about Corvids in Blue!    ;D