Author Topic: A new lathe  (Read 1498 times)

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
A new lathe
« on: February 01, 2021, 05:32:19 PM »
Early lsat December I orderd a new Record Herald lathe, I was told that it would be February before I saw it. I checked to day and I was told there was no idea of when it would be delivered. Is this just Record or new machines in general. The shop display area was practically empty of display models.
Ron

Online Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: A new lathe
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 07:02:24 PM »
I think the passage of goods from China has been somewhat erratic since Covid took hold. It appears that many suppliers have been affected and lathes of all makes are in short supply.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 07:30:22 PM »
I ordered a Record Bandsaw in November and still waiting

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Redwill

• iron
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 11:18:04 AM »
Suggest you do not hold your Breath waiting,      Delays on orders seem to be the norm at the moment,  Goods are being held up at Ports and when they do get thro many of the companies have people working from home which seems to be slowing the movement of goods.    Just had an armchair delivered that I ordered early Oct.  Issues totally outside the retailers control who has been excellent at providing updates,   Normal delivery would have been 6 weeks max from order.
   I have been thinking of replacing my Vicmarc Vl 150 for a different lathe to give a bigger swing over the bed but am reluctant to join a long waiting list so will be holding off for the time being will content myself with the smaller turnings than I had in mind.         
Hopefully your Herald will turn up soon
regards  Bill

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 12:36:09 PM »
Covid seems to have caused a double whammy. More people want stuff to do in lockdown and have bought lathes, and as said it’s also affected the supply line.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 05:24:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I spoke to my daughter earlier (she works for a tool retailer) and she tells me that this is general and affects all manufacurers and she has back orders far longer that back to December. as I noted earlier the shop where I go has sold most of the display models, including the Herald I had my eye on!

The new infection rates are nearly in freefall so hopefully we will see some improvements yet, I will however take Bills advice and not hold my breath
Ron

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 03:03:04 PM »
Thanks everyone, it arrived Friday, I am nearly ready to use it

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 05:24:17 PM »
OK it is all set up forthe first 'proper' job.
But what is the balck box for? no info in the book. no pictures, and why does it hang just where it is likely to get damaged?

Any body want the full instruction manual? you have the choice of it in French or German

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 07:56:17 PM »
I am loving the new lathe, I have turned one project so far, a base and top to convert a ceramic urn to a table lamp. The only snag is the adaptor for the 33*3mm spindle thread to 1"*8 for my old chucks.
It seems that every one now has direct threading, making many seviceable chucks simply redundant. I have the Record 33mm*3 to 1"*8 adaptor, but I get vibration when turning face plate work, bringing the tailstock up to support helps, but not for everything.  The Record chuck is direct threaded and for my 30 year old Axminster, now on its third thread adaptor, there are no more adaptors available, progress?
I doubt any one can help, just getting it off my chest!
Ron

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 11:26:14 PM »
I ordered a collet Chuck from China to make a new tool handle and I was staggered when it dropped through my letterbox a week later!

Sadly some stuff ordered on eBay from UK suppliers have been taking ten days to arrive?!  :(